Potential Stihl ms181 purchase

Daveo

Hi

Have done a few searches but not got a definitive answer to my question, I would like a saw that I can use for chopping fire wood with the potential to be able to fell small trees for firewood and maybe cutting up trees that have blown over on a friends farm as and when I need wood to season etc. Not going to be using it everyday, but would rather purchase a good all rounder if that is at all possible.

Any advice greatly appreciated

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Have done a few searches but not got a definitive answer to my question, I would like a saw that I can use for chopping fire wood with the potential to be able to fell small trees for firewood and maybe cutting up trees that have blown over on a friends farm as and when I need wood to season etc. Not going to be using it everyday, but would rather purchase a good all rounder if that is at all possible.

Any advice greatly appreciated

How much do you want to spend? Has it got to be Stihl ? are you capable of maintenance ? These all come into it . Part time user saws can start at 400 and 600 + gets you something V decent.

The 181 is not a very powerful saw and isn't built for hard work ..there are plenty of candidates but size of budget is a good place to start perhaps.

I would like Stihl, because of the brand I guess the Mrs is getting it as a bday present so my budget was about £250, was think I could put more towards it but need to buy all the safety kit and maintenance stuff aswell. Would obvisoley consider more money for a better option and other models open to sujjestions

Thanks

For £250 I'd be very tempted to look at the highest Echo model I could get for that. They seem to raved about on here, not tried one myself yet but my next saw may well be an echo.

Have a look on the forest and arb website, I suspect you'll get a better warranty and more bang for your buck.

I would like Stihl, because of the brand I guess the Mrs is getting it as a bday present so my budget was about £250, was think I could put more towards it but need to buy all the safety kit and maintenance stuff aswell. Would obvisoley consider more money for a better option and other models open to sujjestions

Thanks

Think you will struggle with the budget to get what could be classed as a "All Rounder" that is up to firewooding and felling unless its some pretty small stuff or you don't mind it taking a age. Second hand maybe.. but thats a can of worms unless you familiar with saws. Only thing I "Personally" would say is..get as much power as you can afford and don't be enticed into "ergo start" or long bars. Both will detract from the budget and give you less of a saw in the end for the money you are talking.

Ok great thanks for the pointers, did consider secondhand but didn't want to be wasting my cash on what maybe a pile of spanners, might go down the route of small saw to start with see how I get on etc, maybe part ex or hire larger saw when I do need to start felling.

Ok great thanks for the pointers, did consider secondhand but didn't want to be wasting my cash on what maybe a pile of spanners, might go down the route of small saw to start with see how I get on etc, maybe part ex or hire larger saw when I do need to start felling.

where are you based?

A while back when I purchased my first saw, I got an MS211. It's in the same category as the 181 (homeowner) but has a few more cc and was around the 250 mark I think; was a decent little saw actually. Next stage up, maybe a 251 - that's pretty good at around the 400 mark. But, if you wanna get something that's gonna kick ass, you need to look for the 261 or the Husqvarna 550xp. Both great saws, well balanced in the hand, enough power to do whatever you're gonna contemplate doing, with better components and the ability to run an 18" bar, one of these would be your best bet; they're around the 500 mark. I say, "buy nice or buy twice", future proof yourself, you won't regret it. Hope this helps

For £250 I'd be very tempted to look at the highest Echo model I could get for that. They seem to raved about on here, not tried one myself yet but my next saw may well be an echo.

Have a look on the forest and arb website, I suspect you'll get a better warranty and more bang for your buck.

If you have a dealer near you have a look at the echo saws at least, they are all good.:001_smile: