Stihl fs490

laustin956

we are getting more info now as in begining you only said only way it moves if you force Clutch out with a screwdriver you dint say they stayed out ? if they stay out that would only in my opinion make the Head never stop and could lead to the Strimmer stalling on tick over If it wont retract on its own sound like springs very weak need replacing , Can you then gentle pass them back in How much resistence if loads then there may be some catching issue, if your confident everything else is ok then best bet is New Clutch complete assembly unless New Springs and throrough clean and Lubricate NOT THE CLUTCH SHOES , all the internal parts and then airline to dry off to Stop Contamination

Stihl brushcutter clutches do seize easily, I see a lot of them.

I must admit to not having seen a 3 shoed clutch, but the 2 shoed ones seize regularly.

The shoes are sandwiched between 2 plates and a little rain on a hot clutch causes the shoes to rust and stick between the plates.

The shoes also have a pivot bush which easily rusts.

This sticks the shoes hard enough for centrifugal force be insufficient to move the shoes out.

Dissmantle, cleqn, lubricate and reassemble.

There are some images of the two shoe version on post 14 of this thread

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/maintenance-help/95574-sthill-fs450-vibration-2.html

I tip my hat to you Gardenkit, thou art more erudite than I.... :thumbup1: