Cherry Picker/Chainsaw Jacket

ukminch

None of it's law, but not complying could lead to you breaking the law....

I've already got the job, but they need site specific paperwork, and it does come back to you from this company.

Whats worse is that they use their duty of care to get out of the office, and obviously if they can report something back then they will be allowed out again.....

So I don't want to say they'll be wearing a jacket if they don't as I may well get pulled on it. Equally with gloves, it is recommended, and advice is given but ultimately my paperwork says it is a personal decision for chainsaw operations.

My personal opinion is that common sense should be enough, but if the moneys right I'll jump through most hoops.....

Then a hoop jumping we shall go mate, if wearing a jacket/gloves/hat/trousers/pink string vest 2 sizes too small meant making good money or not, its gotta be done, well apart from the pink vest, thats extra :thumbup1:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently compiling a risk assessment/method statement for a job I've got coming up this winter - Providing tree officer approves of the survey I had done........

I've got an IPAF cherry picker ticket and CS39 which I was told was fine to use for treework. Recently somebody told me that you are supposed to wear a ballistic jacket when working from a mewp, anybody got a definitive answer?

Chances are the trees will be climbed anyway but if the paperworks in place the option is there.

R

No you dont.

There is alot of "supposed" to's in this game i think, How much of it is law?? and how much is recommendation?? i wager the later is the greater BUT if to get the job, you say your MEWP man will wear a jacket then bang it down!!

if the hse recommend something and you end up in court you have to prove that you were justified in not following the recommendation therefore although it is not statute it is often taken that any government reccomendation is best practice and almost as good as law.

It's also to do with insurance, they love to see 'industry best practice', purely because they know people won't comply fully to it. To them, large annual payments going in + excuse to pay nothing out = business!

We KEEP hearing this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But NO ONE ever comes up with a REAL example of it happening!!!!!!!!!!!

We even had a thread on it and all those who keep going on about it had nothing to say.

When was the last time a speeding motorist was not paid out???????????????????????

I'm sorry I've gone off on one :blushing: but I just wish people would stick to FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We KEEP hearing this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But NO ONE ever comes up with a REAL example of it happening!!!!!!!!!!!

We even had a thread on it and all those who keep going on about it had nothing to say.

When was the last time a speeding motorist was not paid out???????????????????????

I'm sorry I've gone off on one :blushing: but I just wish people would stick to FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol::001_tt2:

Publications & Merchandise

half way down on the right guide to use of mewps in tree work and also as you have ssid

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/afag403.pdf

in a nut shell NO there is no genneral recomendation for jakets or arborist sleeves in a mewp. BUT YOUR risk assessment may decide otherwise.

it have been said people worry too much, i think they actually over think things, worrying or assessing is the right thing to do, knowing when enough is enough is were the skill comes in.

as for cs gloves same thing really but gloves of some sort should be worn.

just ask your self is there going to be a significant gain in safty that is clear and measurable, that will not inconveiniance, delay or make uncomfortable your staff

jakets in mewps nahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

2 man working in mewps well there is another can of worms

have a look at the guide

cheers

kev