Net profit margins

David Riding

Just got back from the local... speaking to a few blokes who have a few pence more than me :001_huh:

The majority of medium sized companies as in 10 - 50 staff try to achieve a net profit of around 20% and obviously even more on their gross. Companies below these numbers obviously try and achieve a lot bigger margins (masive companies more like 3-8%). But hold on a minute these large companies are laying expensive pipes buying thousands of £'s worth of materials to build hotels, business parks and houses, us tree men don't have materials to buy, the trees are our exsisting free materials. Therefore should our margins be larger or is it all relative to time scales. Can't help thinking if a lay some gold plated sewers for the lord of Wigan in 2 days I will be loaded with 20% margins:001_rolleyes:

I must be missing something

Edited by David Riding

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point I was trying to make stevie was that companies other than in the tree business have materials to buy which increases there gross profit. E.g 4 men cut a tree down at a cost of £100 a man (£400 total cost) with a 20% margin thats only a gross profit of £100.

4 men lay a pipe at a cost of £100 a man (£400 total cost) and the pipe costs £400 with a 20% margin thats a gross profit of £200.

Like a say unless Im missing something.

Edited by David Riding

The point I was trying to make stevie was that companies other than in the tree business have materials to buy which increases there gross profit. E.g 4 men cut a tree down at a cost of £100 a man (£400 total cost) with a 20% margin thats only a gross profit of £100.

4 men lay a pipe at a cost of £100 a man (£400 total cost) and the pipe costs £400 with a 20% margin thats a gross profit of £200.

Im confused, 20% on £800 is £160?????

The pipe layer is taking the risk that he may not receive the money for the pipe, which he has paid for.

The higher the risk you take in business, the higher the return.

Also we need to make sure we are charging appropriately for our gear, IE 4 men at £100 a man plus truck at say £90, chipper maybe £75, = £565

Or you can make a charge for the removal of the arisings, on smaller jobs you can consider what it would cost them if they got a skip and add maybe 50% of what that would have cost, so they are making a saving but you are covering your costs and making a little more profit.

Edited by skyhuck