New super fast log splitter. Must watch.

Jonesie

• 2 weeks later...

Having spent a year enjoying Arbtalk (thanks all) I've just registered and for my first post will jump in here on kinetic log splitters

Your suggested price for the 25T version Jonesie is amazing. The Portek Quik-Split appears to be very similar to the American-made SuperSplit. If your 25T version is grown up size (like the SuperSplit) and anything like it’s reliability then the Portek is worth considering.

I know of only three SuperSplit machines in the UK and I have one of them. Because of EU rules they cannot be imported direct because the EU says that this sort of machinery must require use of both hands to start each splitting action. On the video above you can see the Portek is EU compliant though in my opinion it is more dangerous tying up both hands, necessitating drawing the operators face into the machine. Also I would guess the unnatural, two handed operation would get tiring if used all day. But that is the EU for you. Well if we vote er the right way then all of us will be free to import the American version.

I notice that safety invariably get raised when these kinetic log splitters get discussed on Arbtalk. I’ve only put about 20 tons through mine but would say it is a delight to use. I’ve never had any safety concerns.

To import my SuperSplit I used a similar ruse to someone else on Arbtalk. I sent the money over to a friend of a friend in the US and got him to unpack it, split whatever he could in his yard and then send it on over. Second hand machines don’t have to be EU compliant. Expensive but for me worth it. The machine is awesome - I can split faster than the output can be stacked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had the five ton version for a few weeks now and it is brilliant. Did two trailer loads of logs last week and had only a couple that it wouldn't split. Neighbour brought round a very large wet oak round as a 'test'! Went straight through it. It is very safe as long as you are aware of the speed and it is SO much faster that my old hydraulic splitter. I agree with other posts that it needs to be raised but it needs to be a substantial bench as it weighs about 60kgs! Buy one!

I have had the five ton version for a few weeks now and it is brilliant. Did two trailer loads of logs last week and had only a couple that it wouldn't split. Neighbour brought round a very large wet oak round as a 'test'! Went straight through it. It is very safe as long as you are aware of the speed and it is SO much faster that my old hydraulic splitter. I agree with other posts that it needs to be raised but it needs to be a substantial bench as it weighs about 60kgs! Buy one!

How easy is it to disable the 2 handed safety mechanism to make it like the US version? Not that I would do such a thing of course