tadcaster bridge collapsed

Johny Walker

Just wondering how old the bridge was at the time of this collapse?. 50 years 75 over a 100?. I guess my point which no one else has mentioned is that a deteriorating infrastructure of roads and bridges especially older bridges is probably as much to blame as all of the other reasons already mentioned.

easy-lift guy

Ted, the bridge in question has been in daily use by large volumes of traffic including buses and has withstood many floods similar if not worse than this one and is inspected every time. The water was the highest I have ever seen it at Tadcaster.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ted, the bridge in question has been in daily use by large volumes of traffic including buses and has withstood many floods similar if not worse than this one and is inspected every time. The water was the highest I have ever seen it at Tadcaster.

Hi PEN it over 200 years old mate looks a great bridge mate thanks Jon

True, another "big issue" (pun intended) is all the immigration = more and more houses needing to be built = more pressure on the infrastructure, drains ect, but will this be addressed? the day after Hell freezes over, this country is screwed!!

Your point about the recent invasion of people from other lands will only put that much more strain on the social welfare system. More essential services will continue to be reduced or eliminated and the infrastructure will continue to crumble and become non existent. Fortunately most members on this site are very self aware of their resources and surroundings. For everyone else that are dependent or addicted to 21 century technology the reality check coming town the pike will be incomprehensible at first and than everyone else that is left will really be on their own maybe for the first time in their lives. Perfect storm is a coming. Just be as prepared as you can. The Calvary won't be coming in to save the day any generation soon:sneaky2:

easy-lift guy

Egg stated earlier that the original pilings date back to the 17th century. Very historic to say the least. Practical and dependable in the 21st Century, Not.

Not everything is meant to last forever, bridges over 300 years old included.

easy-lift guy

Hi PEN it over 200 years old mate looks a great bridge mate thanks Jon

Jon that would be in the past tense I trust?. Perhaps one of hundreds that need to be replaced. Along with many other infrastructure projects that have been ignored for way to many years. Sooner or later it is possible that the majority of the citizens of the U.K. May realize that the can being kicked down the road for so many years is no longer available. Same here as well, sadly:thumbdown:

easy-lift guy

Hi ELG, the decision has been made to repair the bridge at a cost of £3 million and will take up to 12 months. The operation to remove the debris starts tomorrow. They are also looking at underpinning the bridge piers due to scouring from previous floods over the years.