Homemade log processor saw issues

Chipy

is the item number from flowtech on ebay you need to fit this on the piston side of the ram so that when you pull the ram up it can still do this fast the only restriction should be on the downward stoke and you should separate the return from the motor to tank from the lift side of the bar ram what size is the ram on the bar just out of curiosity

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forgot to mention I've already got one of these 161820637252 to control the downwards speed of the saw ram and I've another one to fit to the bar oiler. We had it at every single setting and it didn't affect performance of the saw or smoothness of ram dropping. Spoke to approved hydraulics and there recommending I try disconnecting one of the other functions such as the log deck feed and try plumbing that to the saw ram so the saw motor and saw ram are on seperate spool valves and see if it's still jerky etc then. Also try turning down the pressure release valve I think. What ever part it is that determines at what point the digger would stall. They said digger might be running at its limit and they didn't think I would need all 2000psi so could reduce that a bit. I don't think the latter will do much but might be worth a try

forgot to mention I've already got one of these 161820637252 to control the downwards speed of the saw ram and I've another one to fit to the bar oiler. We had it at every single setting and it didn't affect performance of the saw or smoothness of ram dropping. Spoke to approved hydraulics and there recommending I try disconnecting one of the other functions such as the log deck feed and try plumbing that to the saw ram so the saw motor and saw ram are on seperate spool valves and see if it's still jerky etc then. Also try turning down the pressure release valve I think. What ever part it is that determines at what point the digger would stall. They said digger might be running at its limit and they didn't think I would need all 2000psi so could reduce that a bit. I don't think the latter will do much but might be worth a try

thats the wrong valve for your application you should be able to slow the flow to almost nothing but in the opposite direction and have no restriction for raising up the bar i think they are correct by separating the 2 functions as the load increases the hydraulic pressure will increase on the ram which will put more load on the motor which in turn will increase load on the ram etc etc the other way to do it would be fit a pressure limiting valve on the down stroke to limit the load on the ram which will stop the motor from stalling

Trying to do too many things with one valve is what's causing your problems, put the functions on individual services and if you can put the motor on its own dedicated circuit, you might need a tandem pump to sort that out.

The above is what I would do.

Trying to have the speed of the bar lowering fixed will be a compromise if you do get it working. Too slow on small logs slowing you down and to fast for big ones causing it to stall.

The above is what I would do.

Trying to have the speed of the bar lowering fixed will be a compromise if you do get it working. Too slow on small logs slowing you down and to fast for big ones causing it to stall.

How do proper processors manage? They don't stall and always seem to go same speed. Do they just have a lot more power?

How do proper processors manage? They don't stall and always seem to go same speed. Do they just have a lot more power?

i don't think they have more power just proper control of what they do have

Like the man says proper management of what you have

Its all well and good doing the suck it and see approach as long as you are ready for the learning curve

Here's a couple of vids to show you what it's doing. Short vid shows it working fine but it was just one of those really light weight logs that's easy to cut anyway. 2nd vid shows it sticking. Whilst it's sawing I'm twisting the needle control valve which controls speed that the ram drops. I have to have it set at about 1 for it to finally chop the log but that's far too slow. Hoping to try giving the ram its own feed this weekend and see if it's better.

trim.5E94B123-FB6D-43AA-A655-C428BFE2DCED.mp4 Video by adamchippy | Photobucket

trim.25B14BFE-8F04-497A-A4E6-3EA07CF536E1.mp4 Video by adamchippy | Photobucket