Are there any chainsaw sales?!

Arnold9801

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is very little margin in new saws these days, in fact in a few years i can see many dealers like ourselves having a serious re think as stocking thousands of pounds worth of kit to make a 2% return isnt good buisness, The last post was bang on about trying tobuy localy as with abit of good old fashioned haggling most will get as near to internet price as possible, I know personaly we bend over backwards to help with problems with machines we sell, staying late to fix loan machines etc, the customer suports us we look after them , its simple, and the man who buys on line who can find us the second theres a problem can join the que,

Really!!!! So how come some dealers are able to offer such big discounts? And it's a phrase I hear in the shooting world as well -" no margin in shotgun cartridges these days mate, don't know why I bother stocking them!!"

We live in rip off Britain as we are told on a regular basis. If there was next to no margin in a retailers main goods, they wouldn't stock them.

Really!!!! So how come some dealers are able to offer such big discounts? And it's a phrase I hear in the shooting world as well -" no margin in shotgun cartridges these days mate, don't know why I bother stocking them!!"

We live in rip off Britain as we are told on a regular basis. If there was next to no margin in a retailers main goods, they wouldn't stock them.

I think he's getting at the bigger dealers, like frjones etc, who can afford to sell equipment on not much of a mark up and make up for it through number of units sold.... (This is just me speculating)

Having lived in Bristol, I found that it would have been cheaper to travel to London to pick up a saw from frjones, than to buy locally.

I think he's getting at the bigger dealers, like frjones etc, who can afford to sell equipment on not much of a mark up and make up for it through number of units sold.... (This is just me speculating)

Having lived in Bristol, I found that it would have been cheaper to travel to London to pick up a saw from frjones, than to buy locally.

Hi MAX You have lovely Mr Carr in Bristol hey if you travel first class on the train he has to be cheaper thanks John

Pike is correct. As far as I am aware most garden machinery suppliers want to maintain their network of servicing dealers and so try to create a dealer pricing structure that allows the biggest and smallest dealers to buy at same costs. This prevents a lot of un needed returns of machines and promotes user satisfaction giving a local outlet where they can call into for help and repairs. You need to remember that these machinery suppliers serve not only the pro user but also the domestic customer who, when he buys a new chainsaw may have little or no knowledge on how to use it safely. We certainly ask basic safety questions of the user whenever possible when he buys.

The "big mail order boys" are almost certainly buying at the same price as the small 3/4 employee outlet, yet choose to go down the road of minimal profit, large turnover. I hardly see working for near nothing as preventing "rip off Britain". In the same vein, certain smaller dealers may well try and sell at RRP, this will never work as there will be a massive difference between them and the dealer in the country offering the most discount. As I said before the way forward is sensible discount on new product, good back up and item in stock.

Edited by harrythecat178

Pike is correct. As far as I am aware most garden machinery suppliers want to maintain their network of servicing dealers and so try to create a dealer pricing structure that allows the biggest and smallest dealers to buy at same costs. This prevents a lot of un needed returns of machines and promotes user satisfaction giving a local outlet where they can call into for help and repairs. You need to remember that these machinery suppliers serve not only the pro user but also the domestic customer who, when he buys a new chainsaw may have little or no knowledge on how to use it safely. We certainly ask basic safety questions of the user whenever possible when he buys.

The "big mail order boys" are almost certainly buying at the same price as the small 3/4 employee outlet, yet choose to go down the road of minimal profit, large turnover. I hardly see working for near nothing as preventing "rip off Britain". In the same vein, certain smaller dealers may well try and sell at RRP, this will never work as there will be a massive difference between them and the dealer in the country offering the most discount. As I said before the way forward is sensible discount on new product, good back up and item in stock.

The in stock bit is something my local stihl dealer could be better at!

I wanted a new hand held blower and the nearest could not get it for more than a week so I drove 15 miles or so and got it that day for about 15% less.

Had the local guy had it I would have paid his price as time is money and also nearer to take back in case of problems!

The thing is that all dealers do not follow the same business model and should not be compared.

They have different size premises, deal in different brands, have different overheads and offer different service. Some cater more for domestic users whilst some prefer the commercial business.

Some seek to take every deal going, wherever, and at whatever margin they can get, whilst others prefer to only deal locally whilst maintaining a higher profit margin and are more than happy to let the customer seeking the bottom price go elsewhere.

If any of you feel that your particular local dealer is not for you, then fair enough, go elsewhere. You will both be happier without each other.

But if you understand and respect each others needs, then good relationships can be forged.

We are only a small family business and do very little business more than 10 miles from base. We keep our margins reasonably high, whilst offering average discounts where appropriate but are seldom knowingly the cheapest and will never any longer even attempt to price match the online sellers. (been there, it does not work)

We know we are not every ones cup of tea, but we equally know we have an extremely loyal customer base that we have maintained for many years. Most class our products and our work as exceptional and are happy to give us their repeat business and recommend us to others.

But I know we do not appeal to those who want to buy purely on price, and this suits us fine.

Each to their own.

We arnt a big stihl dealer by any means, we will do 50grand a year and abit less husky, many internet sellers are offering 30/32% discounts , we get 34/36 % from manufactures, if im part of ripp off britain im terribly sorry, ive seen it many times on here when a tree surgen is slated as being,an idiot for working for a couple of hundred quid a day,yet all dealers are the enemy out to take the shirt of your back, this isnt the case most are just working people with mortgages etc etc , I fully understand there are bad dealers around, as there are tree surgeons, plumbers , builders etc, but there are many like my self who have invested heavily in a job I love doing, who try offer good service at a fair price, give your local shop a try , get agood working relationship and you will see they arnt the enemy,

We arnt a big stihl dealer by any means, we will do 50grand a year and abit less husky, many internet sellers are offering 30/32% discounts , we get 34/36 % from manufactures, if im part of ripp off britain im terribly sorry, ive seen it many times on here when a tree surgen is slated as being,an idiot for working for a couple of hundred quid a day,yet all dealers are the enemy out to take the shirt of your back, this isnt the case most are just working people with mortgages etc etc , I fully understand there are bad dealers around, as there are tree surgeons, plumbers , builders etc, but there are many like my self who have invested heavily in a job I love doing, who try offer good service at a fair price, give your local shop a try , get agood working relationship and you will see they arnt the enemy,

That, Mr Pike, just about sums it up. Well said.

• 1 month later...