Maxnaggle

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Though I've got to say, I'm interested as to what this old trick is?! Haha

Assuming it's the same old trick then this is it.

It worked years ago, so I expect it will still work although I have not done a timing belt for years.

The biggest problem is that once you take the old belt off, all the gears move and then you have to line them all up again. Great if you know how, and have any necessary tools and guides.

So, as I seldom had the correct details to hand I would run round the old belt with a Stanley knife and make it half its width, then remove the front half, leaving half the pulley width exposed.

Slacken the tension but keep some load on the old belt, mid pulley, so as not to let it jump any teeth.

Slide the new belt onto the gears half way, to meet the old one, then use the new one to push of the old, cutting the old one if required. When the new one is fully on just retention.

Of course, it's not quite so easy when replacing the tensioner too.

There is honestly no need to play that trick on the ranger engines u honestly wont believe how easy it is to to

Is honestly just a case of lining a couple of painted on marks up

No timing tools required and as it is just a drive from the crank to the cam there is nothing else driven

A professional mechanic should be able to do it in 10 minutes a complete novice should be no longer than 20 there isnt anything to get in the way either with loads of accesss

Thanks for all the replies guys, had a go at it today, managed to get the belt and tensioner swapped out, though they were both in pretty good condition actually, with only a tiny bit of play in the tensioner. Still had no idea when they were last done, so out they came.

I lined the pulleys up with the marks on the casing while the old belt was still on using a 17mm socket on the cam pulley, turning clock wise. (I was doing as instructed by the workshop manual, and noticed afterwards that the belts actually spin anti clock wise when the engine is running)

Took old belt off, put new one on + tensioner, cranked the lot over by hand a couple of times to make sure the marks lined up okay.

Took me about an hour and a bit, bare in mind I've never done timing related stuff before so was being extra careful with everything - so anyone could definitely do it themselves to save paying a mechanic.

The only whoopsie was snapping one of the boys that holds the plastic housing on, luckily it's still proud of the engine case so will try and get it out tomorrow with the day light on my side.

Thanks for the input :)

Thanks for all the replies guys, had a go at it today, managed to get the belt and tensioner swapped out, though they were both in pretty good condition actually, with only a tiny bit of play in the tensioner. Still had no idea when they were last done, so out they came.

I lined the pulleys up with the marks on the casing while the old belt was still on using a 17mm socket on the cam pulley, turning clock wise. (I was doing as instructed by the workshop manual, and noticed afterwards that the belts actually spin anti clock wise when the engine is running)

Took old belt off, put new one on + tensioner, cranked the lot over by hand a couple of times to make sure the marks lined up okay.

Took me about an hour and a bit, bare in mind I've never done timing related stuff before so was being extra careful with everything - so anyone could definitely do it themselves to save paying a mechanic.

The only whoopsie was snapping one of the boys that holds the plastic housing on, luckily it's still proud of the engine case so will try and get it out tomorrow with the day light on my side.

Thanks for the input :)

Nice one mate, anything timing belt sounds like very scary stuff, but now you've done it know what's involved, saved some ££££ and a bit of job satisfaction

Bob:thumbup: