Sharpening a Tungsten Carbide Chain

sawsaw

you can get a diamond wheel for a chain grinder or a diamond file if it only needs a touch up however using a diamond file soon gets old

I'm using a lidlaldi grinder with a 4" diamond disc for sharpening circular saw blades, with the stihl tct chain. Trouble is I've never had a sharp one to compare my results with but it's certainly usable whereas before it was to dull to cut.

Three options:

• forget the carbide chain and just go for a normal one

Upside_ you get a chain you can sharpen whenever it needs sharpening; even out in the woods.

Downside_ you kiss goodbye to a good chain with plenty of useable life.

• get a grinder

Upside_ Cost of grinder approx. equal to having the chain sharpened at the dealer, for the lifetime of that one chain. But it will then last you longer than just the one chain and you can then use it to sharpen a truly mashed chain; and not have to pay & wait for someone to sharpen it for you. And if you really like the carbide chain, you can get another when the first one wears out.

Downside_ none really.

• ether send your chain away to be sharpened or take it in to your dealer to have it sharpened

Upside_ you don't have to get your hands mucky.

Downside_ being without a chain during the time it takes, to have the chain sharpened. And having to both pay & wait for it to be sharpened. It might be sharp when you first fit it/refit it. But what happens if you accidentally mash the chain on a hidden spike/similar 5mins. into cutting? Well then, it's back to having it sharpened and more expense and wasted time.

Whichever way you choose, I'd advise getting a spare normal chain, (which can be hand-sharpened). So when you're out in the woods and you've mashed or just blunted the carbide chain/normal chain. You can just swap chains for a quick fix. Sharpening both chains in the dry, with the grinder, when you get back home afterwards. If you've gone with the send it away/take to the dealer option; with a spare normal chain, you'll still have a good chain while the other is away.

Edited by TGB

Thanks for all your replies - much appreciated. I'll think I will just stick with the ordinary chain. I enjoy the hand sharpening and it the chain seems to cut a little faster than the TC version even when new. I always carry a spare

sharp chain with me rather than sharpen 'on site' - I find that works quite well. VMT

John

It came as standard with the saw - Stihl MS231 !! I replaced it with a standard chain as soon as it became blunt - the TC been sitting there ever since. If I had the gear to sharpen I would but I am not sure it is worth the hastle. The only upside I can see is that it went a very long time without needing sharpening maybe 10x longer than a standard chain.

Edited by sawsaw