help me get correct ppe.

griffinjp

If you are a student, join the arboricultural association. There are numerous discounts available to members from industry suppliers. It may be the case that you would already get said discount if you just asked. However membership to your industry trade association should assist in certain suppliers. Additionally it will help you to keep ahead of the raft of information currently being released pertaining to a multitude of topics. This quarters newsletter was a stonking edition. Additionally student membership is considerably cheaper.

I started out with second hand boots and trousers. Mum was single parent and I only earnt twenty pound a day on a Saturday working for uncles forestry business which paid for petrol to get to college. Or college bus service. Second hand boots and trousers were in adequate condition. Did me fine. Can of odour eater in boots and the amazing concept of a washing machine freshened up the trousers.

Saw so many new students get tiny snags in their trousers, you could see the tears in their eyes. Second hand it didn't matter so badly, and allowed me to buy books for studying.

Just a thought like. Good luck and enjoy it. As fir helmets, some colleges have spares. You won't sweat that much at college as you will in work environment, so head band in helmet won't be that bad

Edited by jaime bray

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honey Brothers is the closest arb supplier to Merrist Wood. They are expensive but if you go in you will be able to look around and get an idea of what fits etc. Get the product codes and price then phone up others or google search.

With regards to using second hand, I wouldn't!!! You never know how old the helmets are or if they have been dropped. Trousers will have been worn day in day out and are like a sleeping bag around your legs!

It will cost a bit to get all new but worth it. Also speak to the college before buying, they usually set up a couple of trade days at the college for students to buy.

By the way good luck with the course

I can't help feeling I'd be a bit peed off if I worked at/owned HBs reading this post.

Honey Brothers is the closest arb supplier to Merrist Wood. They are expensive but if you go in you will be able to look around and get an idea of what fits etc. Get the product codes and price then phone up others or google search.

With regards to using second hand, I wouldn't!!! You never know how old the helmets are or if they have been dropped. Trousers will have been worn day in day out and are like a sleeping bag around your legs!

It will cost a bit to get all new but worth it. Also speak to the college before buying, they usually set up a couple of trade days at the college for students to buy.

By the way good luck with the course

Bit rude imo.....

:laugh1:

I was thinking the same thing.

A bit of a cants trick that.

Why is it? It's only like going to view a car at your closest dealer but then finding it cheaper elsewhere online. Also if the OP is just starting out and is short on money that is the best advice he has been given so far in my opinion!

Maybe I'm missing something here as im new to the arboriculture world. Is honey brothers a large company or a small independent firm? If it's only a small business then yes it would be a bit ****, but your not obliged to buy something in every shop you go in. For example, I could go to JD sports and see a pair of trainers I like for £50, then go to footlocker and get same trainers for £40, then go on Internet and get them for £30 which I'd then buy as they are the cheapest. Surely this would be same for PPE?

(Sorry if this post doesnt makes sense btw!)

That much is clear

Perhaps bear that in mind when offering advice? Just a thought

Very well said.

I would like to see this as a quote sticky thing but it wont be.

It is probably the biggest downfall of social media.

Hopefully true experience passed on wont be a thing of the past.

That much is clear

Perhaps bear that in mind when offering advice? Just a thought

Which is fair enough and I wouldn't give advice I know nothing about but if you could get, let's say a pair of chainsaw boots, from HB for £100 but a quick Google search says you can get them else where for £70 where would you buy them from?

Or as I previously said am I'm missing something here? If I'd gone in the shop and somebody had spent 2 hours with me helping me pick the best PPE for me then yes I'd feel a c*nt going somewhere else and would buy from said shop that helped me. However, if I just went in had a look, see what I liked, what fits etc. then found the cheapest price online I'd buy from wherever was cheapest.