Some advice please!!

nasher76

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, I'm currently working as a paramedic based in Northampton but have been considering a move into arboriculture. Does anyone know of any good firms in the area that I could get some initial experience with?

Due to my shift pattern I get a fair bit of time off. I've seen the relevant courses advertised at Moulton College but I'm reluctant to jump straight onto one without properly letting myself see what it's all about.

My plan is to hopefully gain some valuable experience, with a long term goal of running my own business.

I really am starting from scratch, so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Hi Nasher best way forward is to defiantly keep your Paramedic job as this is the job thats going to pay the bills and your job is of great value to society. The best thing to do if you want to go into get into Arb and operate a chainsaw is to begin with take it up as a hobby do some volunteering for your local wildlife trusts to gain exp and gain your chainsaw tickets this over time will open you up to more opportunities as go you on .

Eastwater:biggrin:

I appreciate the advice about getting into arb, I'll try some of the things mentioned and see how I go.

As for being a paramedic, ask most people who've been doing the job full time for a while (particulary in London) whether they enjoy it and I think you'd be surprised. Poor pay, unsociable hours, stress, regular physical and verbal assault and often highly unpleasant working conditions. Add to that NHS politics. It's very rare we actually "save a life", it's nothing like "Casualty" believe me.

Rather than carrying on and wondering "what if", I think it's time to explore the possibility of doing something different. If it doesn't work out at least I know I've tried.

Cheers

I appreciate the advice about getting into arb, I'll try some of the things mentioned and see how I go.

As for being a paramedic, ask most people who've been doing the job full time for a while (particulary in London) whether they enjoy it and I think you'd be surprised. Poor pay, unsociable hours, stress, regular physical and verbal assault and often highly unpleasant working conditions. Add to that NHS politics. It's very rare we actually "save a life", it's nothing like "Casualty" believe me.

Rather than carrying on and wondering "what if", I think it's time to explore the possibility of doing something different. If it doesn't work out at least I know I've tried.

Cheers

Nasher,

I did exactly the same thing 5 years ago what you are contemplating. Still work full time and carry out treework in my spare time and at weekends. Am now getting to the stage of dropping the full-time work to a part time job and increasing time for treework.

Have spent 5 years training, getting qualified/experienced with some great surgeons who have supported me and invested wisely in the right gear.

Good luck, it's hard work and it's great!!

• 1 month later...

hello, sorry for jumping on to the end of a exsiting thread but rather than starting a whole new thread and potentiall opening a can of worms (which i dont want to do), but i'm simply adfter a bit of honest advice like nasher76. forgive me if this may sound a tad boaring or such (as you'll all see from my post count on here i'm very new to arb') but i've just started a college ND on forestry and arb' and as much fun as it is, i'm hearing a lot of horror stories as to how its not really a great carear to get into. partly due to the number of "pikeys" that have saturated the job field undercutting peoples prices and working with out any clue as to what they are really doing or having any respect for their tools and how damgerous they are (surley opening beer bottles is something for people with small penis syndrome trying to be a macho man?). maybe as i say i'm new to this and havent really seen the real working world of this game, but is it really all that bad? a few people (well respected people) i've spoke to have said they wish they hadnt gone down the arb route and done other things, do others feel the same? i'm sticking this college course out as its a passon i have, and beats doing what i did as my last job.

anyway sorry if i've afended the chap opening the beer bottles with a chainsaw but thats just my take on that

safe climbing all