Some advice please!!

nasher76

Hi all, I'm currently working as a paramedic based in Northampton but have been considering a move into arboriculture. Does anyone know of any good firms in the area that I could get some initial experience with?

Due to my shift pattern I get a fair bit of time off. I've seen the relevant courses advertised at Moulton College but I'm reluctant to jump straight onto one without properly letting myself see what it's all about.

My plan is to hopefully gain some valuable experience, with a long term goal of running my own business.

I really am starting from scratch, so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Ok, here's some advice. Arboriculture is a luxury service based industry thats heavily overstaffed, with dwindling sources of work and funds, and a surplus of highly experienced operators.

If I was in a secure job like a paramedic, the last thing I would want to do is jump into an industry where it will take you a LOT of training and experience to reach a mediocre level.

This job is hard, poorly paid, and offers poor long term prospects. I do well because I'm a long established business, but given the choice, I would not go into this industry.

If you decide to set up your own business, you will inevitably be taking work from established busineses, and will likely be a danger to yourself and others.

I also think as a paramedic, you have the chance to be a very valuable member of society. I take my hat off to you guys, in my humble opinion, you do one of THE most important jobs in existence. I would trade all my training for yours without a second thought..

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but its usually me who has to do the pi$$ing on fires round here:001_rolleyes:

i dont know of any companies down your way mate, but you have the right idea. dont look at pictures in a catalogue this job is about sweating your balls off all day every day at the start, dragging branches lifting tons of logs up and down staircases and getting grief from customers, but we all love it, and i bet your job is a lot tougher and more stressfull than ours, so go for it. i would target a small company, just a couple of guys, work for much cheapness just for experience, speak to some of the training guys on here, richard from kingswood is a really nice guy, i met him a few weeks back, he has a great set up. all the best and welcome to the forum:001_smile:

I also think as a paramedic, you have the chance to be a very valuable member of society. I take my hat off to you guys, in my humble opinion, you do one of THE most important jobs in existence. I would trade all my training for yours without a second thought..

totally agree with that!

Ok, here's some advice. Arboriculture is a luxury service based industry thats heavily overstaffed, with dwindling sources of work and funds, and a surplus of highly experienced operators.

If I was in a secure job like a paramedic, the last thing I would want to do is jump into an industry where it will take you a LOT of training and experience to reach a mediocre level.

This job is hard, poorly paid, and offers poor long term prospects. I do well because I'm a long established business, but given the choice, I would not go into this industry.

If you decide to set up your own business, you will inevitably be taking work from established busineses, and will likely be a danger to yourself and others.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but its usually me who has to do the pi$ on fires round here:001_rolleyes:

Despite all that we love it:thumbup:

There's not many jobs I'd trade for this one.

Try and get a taster with a firm nearby to see if its really for you and offer them some first aid training, something we could all benefit from IMO.

:lol: only last night i was having a drunken conversation with a girl about being a "tree surgeon" when i explained to her what i did she replied "thats hot" :thumbup1::001_tongue:

What she meant was, "take me home now and show me youre big chopper".

What happened next????

Tree work is by far the most glamorous and sexy job in the world. It will get you girls.

Wit i dont know anything about this?? could someone clarify if this is true..

and do what you feel is right for you mate you only get one life. good luck.

Edited by Robert_S
i forgot a bit