4x4 pick-up or soft-roader?

bolthole

This is probably a no-brainer...

Just looking at replacing my wee van (Vauxhall Combo) with a 4wd work truck. Been looking at pick ups, Ford Ranger, etc...

Trouble is, a lot of the time I'll be using the truck to do other things; need to go down to London once a month, plus have a property and elderly parents I need to keep an eye on about 40 miles away. Will be clocking up significant motorway miles.

Just now this is fine as the van gives me about 50mpg. Obviously a pick up will be nearer 30mpg.

Has anyone successfully used 'soft-roaders' as their work truck?

Have been looking at ex-utility Mitsubishi Outlanders as a compromise. At the moment I'm subbing as a groundie so anticipate having to access sites off road, tow my own single-axle trailer or CS100 and possibly slightly larger stuff like hired chippers, other trailers.

Are they up to the job off-road wise? Would a decent set of off-road tyres make any difference?

What do you all think?

Ha

One thing that will be worth noting that most'soft roaders' do not have a low transfer box.This is one big downside if venturing off road ,especially if towing at the same time.

I know a couple of wood operators who chose a suzuki vitara as they still have a low range,while returning decent mpg.

Thanks for the comments guys. :thumbup1:

I think I'll probably go down the whole 4x4 pick up route. Need the carrying capacity and towing ability and the low-range box...

Has anyone had any joy with re-mapping (or tuning boxes) specifically for economy?

I was warned by my insurance company to check before I bought one wether a 4x4 pickup is regarded as a commercial vehicle or not, thus needing commercial insurance, some are some aren't I forget which attract vat and which do not, maybe someone else can advise us? At the moment the van is insured as normal including business use as I do not carry goods.

I am looking to go from van to 4x4 just to carry tools and a bit of chipper towing.