Ford County or Similar

Highland Forestry

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets look at mats situation. he works very ruraly yet covers a big milagae daily, he has a very varied type of work, he has a team of guys constantly doing his bt pole contract, and he has a chance of extracting, now it isnt exactly the himalayas where he works in the granton and spey area. he also does tree surgery and has to hire in a tracked chipper for those jobs. he also does call out for a number of big companies, and as we know most storm damage is a matter if winching it to the side and tidy in the morning.

so why not get a good base unit that can handle implements and cover good road miles, if he comes across some extreme logging situations then the purse strings wont be so tight on the job so he could sub someone in, and to be honest no matter what bit of kit he buys a forwarder is the one for the job, but if he can at least shuttle stuff on forest roads with a timber boggey then why not, when he does his night shift, hire a local 3 point chipper and off he goes, he could get one for about 50 quid a day until he can justify his own. he will be alongside harvester and forwarder guys all the time that will lend him a hand or point him in the right direction if he gets breakdowns.. and i know for a fact he is desperate to have a mog...:thumbup:

Ah BUT that wasn't what he asked in the original post Stevie lol ;) I still think a Mog would but much to larger compromise in the woods but heh.

For extraction as described i'd get the best tractor based forwarder you could buy. You'll get up the racks with that ok i reckon.

lets look at mats situation. he works very ruraly yet covers a big milagae daily, he has a very varied type of work, he has a team of guys constantly doing his bt pole contract, and he has a chance of extracting, now it isnt exactly the himalayas where he works in the granton and spey area. he also does tree surgery and has to hire in a tracked chipper for those jobs. he also does call out for a number of big companies, and as we know most storm damage is a matter if winching it to the side and tidy in the morning.

so why not get a good base unit that can handle implements and cover good road miles, if he comes across some extreme logging situations then the purse strings wont be so tight on the job so he could sub someone in, and to be honest no matter what bit of kit he buys a forwarder is the one for the job, but if he can at least shuttle stuff on forest roads with a timber boggey then why not, when he does his night shift, hire a local 3 point chipper and off he goes, he could get one for about 50 quid a day until he can justify his own. he will be alongside harvester and forwarder guys all the time that will lend him a hand or point him in the right direction if he gets breakdowns.. and i know for a fact he is desperate to have a mog...:thumbup:

Because thats not what he asked.

And if the unimog is so marvelous, why did you sell yours?

In my most very humble opinion, the unimog is best described as a jack of all trades, master of none. Anyhoo, this is descending into the old unimog vs everything else argument. What matt asked is for advice on old roofmount countys, and the best thing for doing various extraction jobs. The Unimog may be fine for some of he tasks you describe, but for what matt said it needed to do, a unimog would be rubbish.

Only down side to an arb mog in the woods is all the chip box bulk and lack of visabilty and some times the sticky out exhausts take that off and with a hi vis window in the back of the cab dont think they could a bad machine for the job.

just take the chip box off, if you have a timber trailer on this can be done very quickly, my first mog just had extending sides that could easily be lifted off by hand.:001_cool:

A mog is to vunerable in the woods. I had two I know this. That's why I bought my Valmet.

How ever a tractor with forwarding trailer as Josh suggests would be a great compromise as most tractors have a smooth underside.

A mog adapted for the woods wouldn't be much use elsewhere and almost certainly you wouldn't want to be driving any distance in it even if it was road legal.

At least this thread has given Matt plenty to think about lol !