Winch advice

Mike Hill

I am mounting a electric winch on my Jensen Tracked chipper.I would like one with about two tons of pull.Its mostly going to be used to pull the chipper up slopes and maybe drag bundles to the machine.

What do you reccomend?

Also I am wondering if I should mount another Battery as well?The original is pretty small.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure about makes and models mike, but i would stick a small pulley just below the hopper for dragging brash, just so it keeps the butt ends off the deck a bit, then you can take it off when dragging the machine. i think jensen do their own one, or do you fancy doing this one yourself mate?

electric winches are hard on batteries under maximum load, mine draw about 500 amps on a good pull.

you have seen my truck mike with the twin winches. i run 2 optima winch batteries with an uprated alternator.

i would go for superwinch over warn as my 9.5xp fell to bits in under a year where as my husky 10 and x9 are going strong.

have you considered a hydraulic winch run off the chippers own hydraulics?

have you considered a hydraulic winch run off the chippers own hydraulics?

great idea garth, the one i have on the bandit is great, you just turn a lever and it runs off the same hoses as the top roller ram. i will look at the make and model for you on monday mike, remind me if i forget.:001_cool:

I did consider a hydraulic winch.

But I would like to have an Electric one so I could mount it on either end of the Chipper.The weight of the machine is at the engine end and thats where you want the winch if your pulling the machine up hill.

However you ideally want the winch at the hopper end if your pulling bundles to the machine.

Andy Collins suggested geting a winch that mounts on tow hitches,thats a great idea that I will persue.

goodwinch / david bowyer make the bak rak towball mounted winch fitting kits, would be easier to have 2 sections of box that slid into one another tightly and pins going through them to lock together then a mount on the end of it.

fully demountable, cheap and strong (if you lean on the welder!!!)

The bandit winches like Stevie has are pretty quick, an electric one will be painfully slow.

As an example the Warn 9.5ti which is supposed to be quite good has a line speed of 4.7meters per minute under load. My igland 4201 will do 102 meters per minute with the same load.

Probably ok for moving the chipper around but for draging bundles it would be quicker to carry it in several trips.