reuse stein strop carabiner

openspaceman

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use old krabs on my harness for slings, prussik etc,u cant use it for life support or lanyard though if it failed its loler.

Yes but the crab hasn't failed, its rope lanyard has.

I was wanting to know if the type of gate lock was inappropriate for other use, It's rated at 2.7kN which means you could (just) hang 1/4 tonne from it.

steinworldwide.com-SS-2RL105-31.png

I get the job of destroying climbing kit that has failed LOLER and won't have a qualm about smashing it if it should not be reused

Not that I intend to climb again but is it permissible to use the carabiner from a Stein strop that has failed LOLER because the rope was damaged for other climbing purposes or is the lock mechanism only for strops and not main rope duties?

I don't believe it would be appropriate to use it instead of a 'krab' on a main line attachment. I would, however, use it with a short length of rope as a lanyard.

As it has it's 'own unique id, ' I can't we anyone but the most pedantic of LOLER examiners having an issue with this.

I would imagine that is 27kn, can't see that any PPE would be rated to only 2.7?

I don't think those snap gates can be used on main line, but you could always just buy 5m of any climbing rope for a strop, and carry on using that krab as you have been tied on with a double fisherman's or similar knot

I would imagine that is 27kn, can't see that any PPE would be rated to only 2.7?

I don't think those snap gates can be used on main line, but you could always just buy 5m of any climbing rope for a strop, and carry on using that krab as you have been tied on with a double fisherman's or similar knot

Yes my misreading, it is 27kN which means it could hold 2.5 tonnes.

I thought there may be a problem with what you refer to as "snap gates" but why? We have much the same type of gate on the fall arrest harnesses used in MEWPS for building works, though they are much bigger and steel they have the same sort of lock on the gate.

I cannot see how I'd use a double fisherman's knot, I use that for tying a loop, I was thinking figure of eight?

Edited by openspaceman

My understanding of how you would stand depends upon how you define "permissible" as in your first post.

As far as I am aware, industry guidelines recommend 3 way locking krabs on your primary attachment for tree work, to prevent accidental opening when rubbing on a branch. So even though the krab you are talking about is plenty strong enough, as it is only 2 way locking it wouldn't meet best practice.

Use in a MEWP is different (and this is an area I don't know much about, so stand to be corrected) as it's a fairly consistent environment with a designated attachment point with less likely hood of rubbing open, so 2 way or screw gate krabs are ok

My understanding of how you would stand depends upon how you define "permissible" as in your first post.

As far as I am aware, industry guidelines recommend 3 way locking krabs on your primary attachment for tree work, to prevent accidental opening when rubbing on a branch. So even though the krab you are talking about is plenty strong enough, as it is only 2 way locking it wouldn't meet best practice.

Use in a MEWP is different (and this is an area I don't know much about, so stand to be corrected) as it's a fairly consistent environment with a designated attachment point with less likely hood of rubbing open, so 2 way or screw gate krabs are ok

It's 3 way locking.