Do you cover your cordwood stacks /how high do you stack.

cessna

I know you will all think my thread a bit basic!! BUT in the past I have stacked cordwood 2mtrs high or more due to lack of space and not covered it.

BUT I am now wondering if I should stack it a mtr high and cover it as I now have more space.

Do you cover your cordwood ? When I say cord wood I mean lengths of fire wood (2mtr,2.5mtr ,3mtr) long, seasoning to be turned in to logs.

I stack 3m high and use a breathable cover, the cover makes a big difference to drying times , especially over the winter. I had two stacks of wood last year ( one covered one not), wood felled at same time. The stack that was covered had 7% lower M/C over six months. The main difference to m/c was on the top half of the stack, the lower half was only marginally dryer.

I stack 3m high and use a breathable cover, the cover makes a big difference to drying times , especially over the winter. I had two stacks of wood last year ( one covered one not), wood felled at same time. The stack that was covered had 7% lower M/C over six months. The main difference to m/c was on the top half of the stack, the lower half was only marginally dryer.

I also notice a difference up through our stacks. The bottom metre is wettest due to lowest air flow, the next 3 metres are drier and the top metre is driest in summer, but in winter after a lot of rain it becomes almost as wet as the bottom. We have found a gap of 6 ft or so works well for us, as it gives good air flow without taking too much space. I cover the top of my own logs, but at work we have many thousands of tonnes stored in 5 metre high stacks, so top covers would be difficult and dangerous to install at that height.

If you can cover the top it is obvious best but airflow is also a very important factor. We position the lines at approximately 45 deg to the prevailing wind so it is not only blowing through the stacks but also up the alleys.

I know you will all think my thread a bit basic!! BUT in the past I have stacked cordwood 2mtrs high or more due to lack of space and not covered it.

BUT I am now wondering if I should stack it a mtr high and cover it as I now have more space.

Do you cover your cordwood ? When I say cord wood I mean lengths of fire wood (2mtr,2.5mtr ,3mtr) long, seasoning to be turned in to logs.

Stack mine as high as the loader on the lorry can reach always have,probably 6 metres high the wind then gets through all of it.

I also notice a difference up through our stacks. The bottom metre is wettest due to lowest air flow, the next 3 metres are drier and the top metre is driest in summer, but in winter after a lot of rain it becomes almost as wet as the bottom. We have found a gap of 6 ft or so works well for us, as it gives good air flow without taking too much space. I cover the top of my own logs, but at work we have many thousands of tonnes stored in 5 metre high stacks, so top covers would be difficult and dangerous to install at that height.

If you can cover the top it is obvious best but airflow is also a very important factor. We position the lines at approximately 45 deg to the prevailing wind so it is not only blowing through the stacks but also up the alleys.

Do you mean a gap of 6ft between stacks cornish?

Hi Duffryn,what is the name of the breathable cover,sounds a good idea. Thanks