Council Apporoved List

Dean Lofthouse

Just been out to price a storm damaged Ash to take down.

Before I got anywhere near the tree I could see that the large branch that had peeled away did so from a weak union, a topping cut.

The tree had been severely topped quite some time ago and new branches had grown some 35 -40ft.

The worrying thing is they have just had it pruned and the tree surgeon never mentioned it should really come down or be cut back to previous.

A Council tree officer lives next door and he said a while ago that the tree really should come down.

The guy who did the pruning is on the council approved list. While there are many good Arbs on this list there are far more not on it and who don't want to be on it.

Is it fair or appropriate for a council paid by us, to be showing favoritism by telling people they should only contact someone from the Council Approved list.

I think it is totally wrong and shouldn't be the councils place to do so and if anything should go wrong it should be the council to be held liable for recommending them.

I'm sure many of us on here have seen butchery work carried out by so called Councill approved contractors

Council lists are to be open & independant they cannot activley promote any person the only criteria that they can ask is that where legislation is applicable that the operator conforms.

( off the record i'm sure the a To may tip a wink to those he knows are reputable on the list)

eg in the case of a tpo'd tree that the work conforms to Bs3998 & advise that the client seeks clarifaction from the contractor as to there suitability to the task & that where nessecary have in place insurance & conform the hsaw act,

it is incumbent in law on the client to satisfy themselves of the ability of the contractor to carry out the work, fit for purpose, as failure to do so is not a defense in law,

ie contractor carrys out none Bs3998 work upon a protected tree both the contractor & the client can be prosecuted.

The Council should only hand out guidance as to how to choose your contractor and the questions to ask.

They should not be promoting any individual or a list of individuals.

I have no problem with Arbs advertising they are Council approved, or in other words have worked for the council and passed all their criteria.

I work for a very well known Brewery on contract and have had to pass their very strict criteria.

The Council should only hand out guidance as to how to choose your contractor and the questions to ask.

They should not be promoting any individual or a list of individuals.

I have no problem with Arbs advertising they are Council approved, or in other words have worked for the council and passed all their criteria.

I work for a very well known Brewery on contract and have had to pass their very strict criteria.

i would suggest you contact the council who will tell you there is no longer an approved list and they now do only send out the details of guidance on how to choose a tree contractor that is if its the council starting with K