6x4 flat bed metal trailer with removable sides?

sandspider

Its quite surprising what you can tow with a Subaru Legacy. How legal it is is another matter.

If it's plated to tow 2000kg gross then that is what the car can legally tow.... that is, providing the person driving has the license and insurance to do so.

cheers, Steve

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a flat bed above the wheel arch would make it very tall, even with tiny trailer wheels, which would probably limit your load. What kind of things were you envisaging carrying on the flat portion?

Not sure really. Whatever I need to - plywood sheets, a sofa, big book cases... I'd like to be able to carry most things without needing another vehicle.

With your standard Cat B licence & that car you might be able to go as high as a 1500kg MAM trailer.

You cant have a car & trailer combination of up to 3500kg GTW (thats the MAM of the car & the MAM of the trailer added together).

Or a car up to 3500kg & a 750kg trailer.

Do you know the MAM of the car?

The kerb weight is about 1500kg So I would expect it to be about 2000-2100kg.

That leaves 1400-1500kg for the trailer.

Thanks. Yes, kerb weight is 1515kg apparently. Not sure of MAM and Google doesn't enlighten me. Anyway, 750kg is probably enough. Assuming 150kg ish for the trailer itself, that's 600kg of payload. In time I may get a bigger braked trailer if necessary.

Cheers all. Any more suggestions?

I've got a 6 1/2 by 4 indespension mesh side with loading ramp. The floor is flat as the wheels are on the outside of the bed.

This one http://www.indespension.co.uk/unbraked-small-equipment-trailer/28-se07064r-unbraked-trailer.html

Is mine about £1200 with sides I think but maybe find s second hand one for a decent price?

I would sell mine for the right price as I've not used it in months!!

Sorry just read that sides need to come off not sure they do? The mesh can come off not sure about the rails?

I think the problem is you want big trailer versatility on a small trailer and I'm not sure there is one !

I have a big flatbed that does all you want but it weighs 750 kg+ empty.

I'm old so licence is not a factor for me😀

On the towing front the big twin axle 18ft including drawbar is easier to manoeuvre than the small one which like to please itself when reversing!!

Edited by Richard 1234

You wont get much of a trailer for 150kg.

I have one with that spec & it has lasted me a long time.

However its not heavy duty & would soon fail if treated that way.

Is 150kg too light for a trailer? What's the one you've got that meets that spec?

I've got a 6 1/2 by 4 indespension mesh side with loading ramp. The floor is flat as the wheels are on the outside of the bed.

This one SE07064R Unbraked Trailer | SE Range | Goods | Business | Trailer Range

Is mine about £1200 with sides I think but maybe find s second hand one for a decent price?

I would sell mine for the right price as I've not used it in months!!

I'd prefer removable sides, but never say never. Where are you?

Sorry just read that sides need to come off not sure they do? The mesh can come off not sure about the rails?

I think the problem is you want big trailer versatility on a small trailer and I'm not sure there is one !

I have a big flatbed that does all you want but it weighs 750 kg+ empty.

I'm old so licence is not a factor for me😀

On the towing front the big twin axle 18ft including drawbar is easier to manoeuvre than the small one which like to please itself when reversing!!

Yep, I begin to wonder if I'm looking for something impossible! Might have to settle for a trailer with sides.

Is 150kg too light for a trailer? What's the one you've got that meets that spec?

I'd prefer removable sides, but never say never. Where are you?

Yep, I begin to wonder if I'm looking for something impossible! Might have to settle for a trailer with sides.

In Lincoln but not at the minute when I get back I will look at it and see but I don't think sides come off as the mud guards/wheel arches are attached to them! Also the drop ramp needs to attach to something when it's been lifted up fir transport.

We bought our light trailer about 13 years ago. Over that time it has needed a few repairs, most of them in the last 3 years, like a new floor, new bearings, needs new tyres now, a few pop rivets have gone & been replaced by welding, new light units (not damaged just faded & starting to corrode). So not too bad considering it has been used nearly ever week of that time. It was a no name import I bought from a local dealer & cost about £550.

Oh & the rear hinges need replacing too.

Its the construction thats the issue its been designed so that the sides are very structural & the floor is all that holds the side in place laterally. But they are only held on by a few small welds at the rear & two bolts at the front. As show in the pics the red arrows are the bolts & the green points were held by a few rivets that have now been welded up. The extra metal is needed across the wheel area as only the floor holds them in position.

When it next needs a strip down I am going to add a few strips of metal in a few place to improve things. Prob less than 10kg of steel in total but will make a huge different to it.

Arbtalk.jpg.1b2d23e10c8d86ab9e438b237af7610a.jpg

Thanks JM, I get you. Probably worth me getting a welder too! Would that trailer have a wooden or metal floor?

Rich, Lincoln is pretty far from me anyway, so don't worry on my account. Cheers.

I worries might well look anyway just out of interest!trailer is at Nottingham anyway not Lincoln

Edited by Richard 1234