Tree Warden

Andy Clark

Hi all,

I see there's been a few past/old threads discussing the subject, but as i've just become one myself, i wanted to get a quick update on the topic of Tree Wardens.

Any others out there in Arbtalk land??

Any one got any stories/thoughts/experiences with Tree Wardens??

Any one else thinking of becoming one??

:001_smile:

Hi all,

I see there's been a few past/old threads discussing the subject, but as i've just become one myself, i wanted to get a quick update on the topic of Tree Wardens.

Any others out there in Arbtalk land??

Any one got any stories/thoughts/experiences with Tree Wardens??

Any one else thinking of becoming one??

:001_smile:

all i can say is, you'll be the first in my experience that ive come across who actually has experience with trees. generally they seem to be randomly picked from volunteers who have "an interest" in trees, and a few books at home on their shelf.

im sure you'll do a better job than the ones ive come across in the past

all i can say is, you'll be the first in my experience that ive come across who actually has experience with trees. generally they seem to be randomly picked from volunteers who have "an interest" in trees, and a few books at home on their shelf.

im sure you'll do a better job than the ones ive come across in the past

That has also been my experience :thumbdown:

They normally come over to me when I'm on with a job and start questioning me about what I'm up to and seem the think I should have contacted them before I even thought about getting my saw out on THEIR patch!!:lol:

I've led a couple of walks around Trees at work, for one of the local London Borough Tree Warden Groups.

Most are just enthusiasts, but there are a few who seem to be in the wrong job and could do them selves and the Tree industry great service if they were full time.

Guess they probably get rewarded better in what they do away from Trees.

Passion gets you a long long way at times.

But as many have seen, can also be misguided.

If and when Trees eventually get the backing as Assetts and not Nuisance then the industry may be able to offer the required salary scales for the departments to be manned with more than just adequate levels of infrastructure and support, and not have to rely on different tiers of Tree management.

I've been one for a while but have done very little if nothing so far! It depends how good a tree warden coordinator you have. There are three main areas that a tree warden gets involved in;

Liaison between the community and the local authority

Keeping an eye on the local tree stock and reporting observations

Piloting community engagement activities (e.g. get kids out planting trees with their family)

In theory its a really good thing as it can get you some good experience if you want to be a woodland officer and it does your community some good. But like I said it depends how good your coordinator is at communication (often tree officers are coordinators). There's also the potential for training courses if the LA has a decent budget set aside for the scheme.