Distell

Highland Forestry

Alex - would it not be easier to use a rope grab??

Just wondering why you're using the set up on a flip line... do you use your flip line as a short strop also??

I personally can't stand rope grabs, i have a cinch on my lanyard as its easy to give out slack even with my weight on it, on my flipline i have a hitch as its for me better, you can give out slack under load and if in the highly unlikly event (touching wood as i type) i have and accident on a pole the hitch is the weak point in my flip line during rescue situations.

To be honest though i rarely use a wire core flipline these days.

And Alex mate watch the tails on your ocean poly hitch cord i myself would make them longer as o.p for me anyway can creep more than other hitch cord.

I'd go for a knute over a distell if it was me

Alex - would it not be easier to use a rope grab??

Just wondering why you're using the set up on a flip line... do you use your flip line as a short strop also??

i don't like rope grabs for the simple reason of not being able to extend the flipline under tension. plus its easier to shorten it with one hand using

the setup i have. it's really good to work with.

stick with the vt matt, i have had a couple of scares, but all my own fault, what i like about the vt is you have to be on the ball and constantly tweak it and this stops you from getting complacent, i have had prussik loops for years, i would just turn them or move them around. you havent been at it long enought to get set in your ways like i did, and especially if you are running a squad and under pressure, it teaches you patience and to slow down, a bit like fly fishing if you can relate to that, there are no short cuts, if you take any it wont work, i have just put a micro pulley on a side landyard with a small prussik, and it is excellent, my old strop was soooooooo old with a huge long p loop on it, but after watching the others at the comp last week i realised how much in the dark ages i was, i will throw my kit bag in next time i am coming up and we will go for a play up some big scotties, hopefully by then i will have given srt a go aswell. stick with it. recclimbing is great for chilling out, i was away from this for years, just dangling watching nature go by is great and especially where you stay.

SRT is way cool, i've just tweaked my system, i've made my foot loop a mini whoopie sling, i put my foot in, crank it down and it doesn't loosen, makes long ascents quick and fast.

I've settled on a VT with 4 wraps and 2 braids, nice and reliable

maybe we should try to sort another meet up?

Jamie

stick with the vt matt, i have had a couple of scares, but all my own fault, what i like about the vt is you have to be on the ball and constantly tweak it and this stops you from getting complacent, i have had prussik loops for years, i would just turn them or move them around. you havent been at it long enought to get set in your ways like i did, and especially if you are running a squad and under pressure, it teaches you patience and to slow down, a bit like fly fishing if you can relate to that, there are no short cuts, if you take any it wont work, i have just put a micro pulley on a side landyard with a small prussik, and it is excellent, my old strop was soooooooo old with a huge long p loop on it, but after watching the others at the comp last week i realised how much in the dark ages i was, i will throw my kit bag in next time i am coming up and we will go for a play up some big scotties, hopefully by then i will have given srt a go aswell. stick with it. recclimbing is great for chilling out, i was away from this for years, just dangling watching nature go by is great and especially where you stay.

That sounds like a plan Stevie! We could go up to some of those biiiiig scotties up at Glenmore.

Hoping to have a god at this magical SRT myself soon... bt before any of that I want to get myself sorted with a slick friction hitch.

The VT is good, and I know that it's what the top names are using and I know it is the way forward but the fact that you have to keep checking it and setting it scares me because like you say... running a squad, under pressure, concentrating on the job and so on...

I'll keep trying different things though until I can settle on something I really like.

I always use a traditional prussik hitch which I was told last week is relativley old-skool now!

my only advice that i can give with the vt as it happened to me, is if you do a long decent, re tie it before climbing again, i got a scare one day, i came rushing down for something, then shot back up, did about 4 arm over arms and went to climb by a fork and it never gripped. but it was my fault entirely for not checking and going to fast, i was in a rush after my boo boo. it isnt only knott that needs re addressing from time to time.:001_smile: