New tree surgery business Surrey / south london

Ivo

Hi, I am planning on starting a new tree surgery business, I've been qualified for a few months only. I've had my own gardening business for 4 years, wanted a change. With the tree surgery business I've done a few small jobs already and have a few larger ones lined up. It does seem like there is enough quality work out there to make the living that I am after, but my concern is finding enough consistent work 5 days a week as a new business to be able to attract a qualified groundsman.

I was thinking, are there similar people out there with a new tree surgery company in the same boat? If we were in the same area we could work with each other some days and share the profit. Has anyone had similar thoughts?

Cheers, Ivo.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say dive in!

That what I did, only passed my aerial rescue a year ago and now I'm a confident climber with some big jobs under my belt. Still loads to learn but it's an enjoyable curve.

You will struggle to get the 5 days a week work, in that respect I'm in the same boat, give me a PM maybe we can help each other out

Working five days a week will wear you out.

And it gets boring.

I understand your point, but, 4 weeks ago I finished a three year, six days a week domestic arb career. I loved it, and i still love it. I'm back in 5 days a week, today is Thursday and I'm tired but I have a day left in the tank. Arb is my passion, I have tried other work areas but none are as exiting, satisfying, or as adventurous as domestic arb IMO. You get the rough with the smooth, dodgy customers, stolen equipment, slow down on quotes etc....today I was cleaning up (rake and builders sack) and I was thinking there is no other job I would rather be doing.

When I left my last position 4 weeks ago I had a plan (vision of my ideal) and I went for it. Sent numerous CV's out, even to companies who were not recruiting. I had doubts about my dicision to leave, whether I had mad the right move or not, I had some alternative offers (PTS course) and doing track clearance and of that sort (great, but not my vision). Family advising me to start my own business (again great, but not my imidiate vision, although in the background of my thoughts that's the inevitability of my vision, just not yet) £££££ and word of mouth, and more experience desired for now so I'm in South Wales doing what I love and don't regret any part of it

Sorry to go off track a bit, hope the guy who posted this thread will get some encouragement or something good out of this. What ever you do mate, I wish you all my best and hope you success in your plans

I hear what you're sayin Mr Egg my friend but i know of plenty of folk "myself included" who would say that treework is their life...it's the first thing i think about in the morning and certainly the last thing at night....sad but true.

Fair enough mate. We've shared enough time together, so you know me. You've even slept in my bed (that just sounds wrong).:biggrin:

I did it for years, working 7 days a week, living in caravans or B&b's, chasing every shilling that was out there. yes, it did pay things off early but, it made me Ill, stressed me out to the point that I didn't work for nearly 12 months, not a good place to be!

Work to live, not live to work.