Euroarb.....Have your say!

Steve Bullman

I'd like a magazine that

1) Did gear reviews particularly of new products.

2) First drives of the new light commercial vehicles and review of how they suit the arb industry, looking at things like in cab storage, towing capacitys etc. I think its was Euro arb that did an article on a mog, it was so technical waffling on about engine specs for pages and other specifications, but at the end it never summed it up as to wheter it was suitable to arb work, A lot is down to personal choice but its possible to do a review. Bob Beech manages to right good first drive articles for Trucking magazine

3) machinery articles/buyers guides you know the sort of thing test 6 splitters and then mark them.

4) It would be nice to see some tests like bob has done where the mag cuts through 5 different flip lines from varying manufacturers etc.

5) I also like reading about other contractors work, I used to like the Woodwise article in FBT, I sometimes learned something/had a laugh at what had happend to them it was interesting.

I| agree the H&S stuff needs to be in there I don't particularly like reading all of it but I can skip bits that don't interest me.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we should vote on what gear gets reviewed here at Arbtalk and how the review is carried out.

One review I've never seen is a comparison and analysis between mid-range saws for use on big distmantles. I'm talking 70cc with 20/24 inch bars.

It'd be good to see a non-biased comparison of these saws being used during a takedown/s by time-served professional climbers.

These would be a good start - Stihl MS441, Jonsered CS2171 and Husqvarna 372xp.

M_MS_441_S001_p.jpg

jonsered3.jpg

h372XP.jpg

Some reviews (esp. new gear) come across like adverts. They should me made to be totally impartial. My son get a PC mag & when they review a new game they say how it compares to other well known games. Helps to be impartial and decide if its worth upgrading to!

Same as most others for me..

New gear reviews and comparisons

Arborist profiles/interviews

Hints and tips

Technical advice and technique illustrations

Tree knowledge and research

Current issues/HSE updates

Should make it more interesting and relevant for those who don't have £££'s to invest in large plant.

Call me simple but i like lumbering jack.

I don't like gear reviews that claim this is the best product ever. that and i'm not too keen on gear reviews that just list details.

2 articles that spring to mind from last year.

I think it was in essential arb they had an article on rigging software and force calculators. I know its important to know the theory behind forces and rigging, but 4 pages on what accounted for an advert.

the other was an artcle in FMJ on harvester heads (i know its hard to get excitied about harvester heads) and there was another 4 pages of tech spec and pretty uninteresting reading.

If they want some new stuff reviewed i'd happily step up to the challenge, put my neck on the line.

Jamie