Working in France. Any tips or info...?

Jayv39

I can always make myself understood after a fashion, and cheating with my translation app, but get a bit lost sometimes with the rapid fire replies.

'Lentement' (slowly) helps in these situations.

It is soon understood that I'm a thick Northumbrian rather than a sauve Parisienne, although my clothes probably give me away as well....

My outlaws have a place in the Lot valley, and a waitress in the local cafe gives short shrift to anyone speaking nothing but English to her, the full shrug and poor/ non-existent service.

She's from Bradford.

Good luck with it mate, it's a great place.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two years in Belgium and another two in Paris.

My pronunciation wasn't the problem. I'd always try and speak French where I could, because it's only right when I'm living in their country. It was more that if they could speak English better than I could speak French they couldn't be bothered to let me try.

Yes, the Belgians do seem to speak good English as do a lot in Paris but well done for persevering

N

There are a few threads on here filled with useful advice, have a search and do some reading.

First things first, your chances of finding work with a french company without being totally fluent are slim.

Secondly NPTC's aren't really recognised here, although qualifications aren't mandatory in the industry so that isn't a massive problem.

Hints and tips.... prepare for A LOT of paperwork if you are making any kind of permanent life here.

Don't be disheartened, the french really have a great attitude to work and there is always a market for someone willing to work hard.

I am by no means an expert on this matter as my company is still in its infancy but if you need any help let me know.

If he is not an expert by now he never will be after all he has been through.

Seriously, get in touch with SARL Le Jardinier Anglais (me) based near Rennes. We are often in need of experienced labour.

Regards

Ty

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am fully aware of the French `way´so to speak as i said i lived there before and i love it, hence the wanting to move. Both my parents lived in paris for 4 years and i do have a pretty good connection with the country and i think my mother in particular will be able to solve any paperwork issues as she worked as a bi lingual PA for a bank manager in paris.

My main concern was getting my foot in the door with potential employers without being able to speak fluent French. Currently working in Scandinavia and it was difficult here, where the standard of english is really high and very widely spoken.

My other option is to save some cash, take a 6-12 month holiday surfing my way round the south west and hopefully in that time learn enough french to make it work....:thumbup:

You can work here as a contracter without registering with the French tax authorities. There are certain simple formalities to respect such as carrying your proof of insurance and last U.K tax declaration with you in the event of a control.

There is alot of crosstalk/bullshoite talked by French and Brits alike about working over here.

Best to avoid being lured in meetings with accountants and the Chambre of Commerce as well as banks.

All quite unecessary.

French live for meetings, like to prove they have a full agenda, wedges of nonsensical paperwork and are forever studying your dossier.

I can get you registered here in 24hrs but really not required if your just here for a year.

Ty