New on forum and question on stihl 090

Rik Blaauw

Hi everyone,

I'm new here on the forum. I've been following discussions on this forum for about a year now. I'm a woodturner and furniture maker located in the Netherlands.

Recently I started milling my own wood. I came across a stihl 090 that has been used as a shop display for the last 15 years. It looks brand new and the shop owner says it's only been used for a couple of hours. I made him of an offer and he said he would think about it.

Now, my question is, if I buy it, should I try to start the engine before I buy it? I'm afraid that any fuel that is in the engine might damage the it.

my other question is whether it is likely that parts might be frozen after being stuck for that long.

Alternatively I would buy the saw without running it and bring it to my stihl dealer to get it cleaned before trying to start it

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm new to these old type of saws. (I have ton of other questions, but I'll keep them for another time)

Regards,

Rik Blaauw

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would pull it over gently ( switched off ) to check its not locked up . If you want it I would change all the rubber components ( as a precaution ) then run it on aspen ..:001_smile:

I would do this too.

I would also check that the compression feels solid. Be aware that with these saws they can feel like they have enormous compression but it's actually a different design of ignition where there is no 'soft' entry onto the magnets (it could even be points ignition depending on the age.

I would still want to buy it, even if it was seized or there was no compression, but I would factor the replacement parts into the price.

Almost all parts are still available OEM from Stihl - there's a seller on Ebay in Germany who does them at a good price. Many parts are also available as pattern.

If you get it, put up some pictures!

Alec

Thank you all for your advice!

I'll drain the fuel that's in the engine and replace it. Stubby suggested replacing it with aspen... would this dissolve the possibly gummed up older fuel that's in there now?

If the money is right I will buy the chainsaw. otherwise I will pass the offer along here on the forum. Wether I buy it or not I will post pictures for sure!

When I went to take a look at it there were two other things that I noticed:

The milling bar was a solid nose type. I,m not sure whether I should use that for milling. I guess it would run rather hot. what do you guys think?

Maybe a collector would be interested in that.

Unfortunately the helper handle was missing, I'm not sure if that can still be ordered

Also the chain looked to be a 1/2" chisel chain... I'm not sure what gauge though. I don't think there are any sources left that sell 1/2" right?

It's good to have a source of knowledgable people that know about these type of saws! thanks again.:thumbup1:

I mill on a solid, because its what I got. Though in time will replace with a sprocket. Helper handles are still available.

1\2" chain is only good for a boat anchor these days, change sprocket (spur?) To .404 and be good to go.

As I did, change carb kit and fuel lines, mine now runs on aspen

My saw in use

Where in NL are you/ is this saw? I know a few competent old saw mechanics in the country. I've never found a main dealer worth his salt yet, too busy selling shiny stuff to the diy crowd.

I'm located near Amsterdam. Some contacts would be great there seems to be very few people that know about these older saws here in the Netherlands.

When I asked my dealer for a ripping chain last year he plainly told me that stihl doesn't sell them, when I asked him if he sold full skip chain he looked at me like this :confused1:

The man only knew how to sell machines, not how to use them.

@ big Beech: cool to see your 090 in action! and thanks for the sprocket/ chain advice. I will change the sprocket to a .404 and get a granberg ripping chain

Hi Rik,

A fellow member was kind enough to make me aware of your topic. I'm from the Netherlands too, and collect these old Stihl chainsaws as a hobby. I wouldn't really call myself knowledgeable in terms of mechanical work but I have worked on some 090(G)s and Contra-Lightnings. I think the other members have already given good advice but if you need any further hints let me know and maybe I can be of help.

As a collector, the bar and chain you mentioned do indeed interest me a lot. I'm always on the lookout for long bars that use the old Stihl logos. Does the bar on this 090 have the log/sawtooth logo? And what is the length of it?

Looking forward to hear more about this 090 also. It's a great find, especially if it's in pristine condition as you describe.

Regards,

Tom