Opinions on this winch please

Hats

Reading this, or another thread re winches last week reminded me how we sometimes needed one. Just got an old Tirfor 1.6 with a 20 metre cable/hook off fleabay for £170, so now waiting to have a play. It has no 'ID/spec plate' but will it need Loler do you think?

Undoubtedly....doesn't everything? Probably need a freaking licence to use em commercially too. I understand the public liability aspect of all that kind of thing, and the health and safety aspect if you are employing staff who will be using or working around the machine, but thankfully I have never had to bother myself with those details. Any engineering place should be able to inspect, test and issue a test cert though.

I personally would be wary of a second hand one for the simple reason that while the machine might be fine, the rope may not. Wire rope rusts from the inside out, and if it has been kinked, or has broken strands, its dangerous, and also won't work with the tirfor....catching in the jaws etc.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading this, or another thread re winches last week reminded me how we sometimes needed one. Just got an old Tirfor 1.6 with a 20 metre cable/hook off fleabay for £170, so now waiting to have a play. It has no 'ID/spec plate' but will it need Loler do you think?

Only if you use it to lift something or tension something that supports a load

It still has to be in good serviceable condition, PUWER applies.