Reducing and Indian bean tree?

Thesnarlingbadger

Will the leaves come back bigger after a hard prune?

Yes, I have a jungle theme garden. I have a purple leaved Catalpa which I coppice at 3ft annually. Leaves are huge as a result which was the intention. It also puts on at least 6ft growth over the summer. I do the same with a Paulownia. Same result. The downside is no flowers.

Cheers

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have a jungle theme garden. I have a purple leaved Catalpa which I coppice at 3ft annually. Leaves are huge as a result which was the intention. It also puts on at least 6ft growth over the summer. I do the same with a Paulownia. Same result. The downside is no flowers.

Cheers

I have a jungle theme garden too. Everything is left to grow until we can't get around it, then the chainsaw comes out. Half a day of maintenance a year, way to go:biggrin:

I have a jungle theme garden too. Everything is left to grow until we can't get around it, then the chainsaw comes out. Half a day of maintenance a year, way to go:biggrin:

Boom! My kind of gardening. I have two choc labs that can pretty much annihilate everything within 3 mins if left unsupervised. Easier than a chainsaw mate. :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...
Did you read the OP Guy?

Good advice, Mick: "I have been asked to reduce a small/medium sized Indian bean tree for a customer and just want a little bit of advice as to how had I can cut them back. With the growth being on the outside I guess I am limited and I would assume they don't take to pollarding to well, don't want to loose it but it is taking up a all her front garden and I would like to do what I can to help. Maybe thinning may be an option if I cans reduce it enough without risking the trees health.

Any advice would be much appreciated."

My advice would be to focus on the buds and not the leaves, and reduce away. The assumption that they do not take to hard reduction to buds aka pollarding has been answered by others. I also have a Catalpa that I pollard, to enjoy the new foliage every year. :thumbup1:

If the client's long term goal is to keep the tree without having it take up the whole garden, I think we have agreed on a way to do just that!