How much to fit a flu liner

Will Heal

I don't really understand how your house can burn down due to a badly fitted liner particularly in an old house such as mine that worked fine for years with no liner at all.

This "competent person" stuff is a real ripoff. I've heard of plenty of these folks with certificates making a right balls of the job.

Amen to that statement :thumbup:.If you have an open fire and switch to a log burner a decent fitting plate will be all that you need :001_smile:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens if the house burns down after you've fitted your own. Does the Insurance company still pay out?

Not if there is no Building Inspector sign off, AND you will also be facing fines of up to 5k for breech of building regs.

Perfectly legal to install yourself but you MUST get it signed off as safe to use by a building inspector before first use.

No sign off and your insurance will get invalidated in you ever have a fire.

A

Thanks for all the replies, some good info there.

Think I will fit it my self as the chimney is straight with no upstairs fire place and as far as I can see no bends.

So I just buy a liner, go to the top of the chimney and drop it down right?

Oh God !!,

Look for direction of flow arrows on the outside of it, these must point in the direction of the gas flow, ( upwards).

What are you proposing to do about a register plate ?, thats the plate at the bottom of the chimney.

You will also need a CO2 alarm, talk to whoever is signing it off about stove CE plates as well. All stoves should now have one fitted but he may let you off with a used stove but ask first. This is of course assuming it does not have one.

A

Amen to that statement :thumbup:.If you have an open fire and switch to a log burner a decent fitting plate will be all that you need :001_smile:

Anyone can get the basic certificate, it was an open book exam and multi choice answers when I did it. Pretty sure it still is.

I have also seem some highly illegal and downright dangerous installs carried out by 'qualified' installers. Found an oak beam this week within 8 inches of a flue pipe on the inside, beam caught fire !!. Min clearance is 15" unless fireboarded.

A

Thanks for all the replies, some good info there.

Think I will fit it my self as the chimney is straight with no upstairs fire place and as far as I can see no bends.

So I just buy a liner, go to the top of the chimney and drop it down right?

If there are no bends you will be able to see the sky from the fireplace.

I've had a 6" liner which got stuck in a nominal 9" chimney and brickwork had to be chopped out, second job in the same street and identical building and they put a 5" flue liner and smaller stove in.

If unsure I'd pull a waste 1m length of 6" through as a trial before ordering the full 9 odd metres of 904, and yes I do expect the occasional runaway fire to put more than 650C up the flue.

Yes 904, 904 twinwall is what you need for multifuels, 316 is just for gas. You need to install the liner and have a CO monitor now, it's part J of the building regulations and yes you do need a certificate and a plate to show the flue has been installed correctly,

HETAS registered installers can self certify this or you pay building control to pass it. HETAS installers cannot certify work done by others.

Also make sure a 6" (150mm) as even with a nominal 9" flue it can be a problem getting round corners. It's only the smallest burners (<5kW I think) that can use 125mm flexi pipe.

Also it's directional so make sure it's the right way up and only feed it down from above.

Alcydion will be along to quote the regs.

316 is not just for gas and is perfectly fine for solid fuel.

Yes 904, 904 twinwall is what you need for multifuels, 316 is just for gas. You need to install the liner and have a CO monitor now, it's part J of the building regulations and yes you do need a certificate and a plate to show the flue has been installed correctly,

HETAS registered installers can self certify this or you pay building control to pass it. HETAS installers cannot certify work done by others.

Also make sure a 6" (150mm) as even with a nominal 9" flue it can be a problem getting round corners. It's only the smallest burners (<5kW I think) that can use 125mm flexi pipe.

Also it's directional so make sure it's the right way up and only feed it down from above.

Alcydion will be along to quote the regs.

316 is not just for gas and is perfectly fine for solid fuel. You don't actually need a register plate if your fitting a liner. There for open chimneys to stop hot ash falling back down the chimney. With a liner you use one just to stop the usual crap coming down like rain. The stove fitters manual online is free and gives you step by step guide to fitting a stove. The Stove Fitter's Manual | How to fit a wood burning stove

The chap from building control who signed my last one off was an ex brick layer who told me he knew nothing about stove fitting. He said use common sense and they have been fitting them for more years than he had been alive without regulations and it was a waste of time him looking.

Vermiculite is for insulation of the liner in a cold chimney, ie a chimney that runs up the outside of a house to stop condensation in the chimney. The flue liner, cowl and flue adaptor can be had for less than £200. http://www.flexifluedirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_32&products_id=930

If your house burns down and its fitted correctly your insurance will have to pay out. If it's been fitted by a professional incorrectly and your house burns down, your insurance won't pay out. You would be chasing the fitter and his insurance.

It's easy to do and do it properly and you won't have any issues.

Cheers

Edited by playtent

Oh God !!,

Look for direction of flow arrows on the outside of it, these must point in the direction of the gas flow, ( upwards).

What are you proposing to do about a register plate ?, thats the plate at the bottom of the chimney.

You will also need a CO2 alarm, talk to whoever is signing it off about stove CE plates as well. All stoves should now have one fitted but he may let you off with a used stove but ask first. This is of course assuming it does not have one.

A

I don't think it does have a CE plate no.

Register plate will be a steel plate screwed to angle iron, is there a min thickness for this?

Found instructions on how to fit in the description of a lot on eBay.

I fully expect that fitting a flu liner is not easy and that I may come across problems but will do it properly and if I get stuck I can always ask on here!

A few things to think about tho thanks

If there are no bends you will be able to see the sky from the fireplace.

I've had a 6" liner which got stuck in a nominal 9" chimney and brickwork had to be chopped out, second job in the same street and identical building and they put a 5" flue liner and smaller stove in.

If unsure I'd pull a waste 1m length of 6" through as a trial before ordering the full 9 odd metres of 904, and yes I do expect the occasional runaway fire to put more than 650C up the flue.

Couldn't see the sky it was dark. I'll look up at the weekend. Good tip to pull a waste length through first thanks