Cable brace a hornbeam?

Paul Barton

"- I may not be as clever (or arrogant) as you..."

Fair go mate....!

"You may apologise to me in writing below..."

You asked for opinions mate...you got one..I am sorry you didnt like it.

You are right, I asked for opinions, which have been given and have been very helpful thanks. I have learned something through this thread and I hope a few others may have too, even if you have not sir.

I didn't realise you were the Arb world oracle. Why don't you have your own section of Arbtalk where you ask terribly difficult and important questions and then answer them yourself to show us all how jolly clever you are?:001_smile:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Professionally, I would never say a tree is safe.

See, it's easy to criticize on a online forum.

You make my point for me mate....you dont hold an arb to blame for pruning a tree against failure..you say you have mitigated the risk with remedial pruning.

It may never be safe...so what are you worried about regards these legal repurcusions... if you have done what you know to be right....ie, sound bracing....reduction of lever arm whu...

Its just as easy to talk alot of **** on forums aswell!:blush:

Or do what someone else suggested and rope the entire area off and put a sign up saying dont sit here:cool1:

:

You are assuming the kids can/will read it :001_cool:

On a more serious note re trespassers, if they are engaged in a criminal activity then any Tortious claim for compensation/damages against the landowner could be defeated by the ex turpi causa defence. Unfortunately, trespass on its own is a civil offence, not criminal and so not covered.

Learn a little something about the people you are making comments towards before banging off a rant in retaliation....or picking up others battles for them sir!

….and how is one supposed to learn about you Mr Bundle Sir? I could say the same about you – at least I have the decency to check-out a persons profile before I launch into an exchange. I checked yours out – there is nothing there!

Next time you see me at Barchams or a show, come and say hi; I’d love to meet you!

Doesnt look like a very good tree to me ie with the lean, included union and the majority of the weight being the stem that has the worst lean on it, crown has a nice shape though.

I would still go for the fell and if it was my job I could probably fell,grind stump, provide and plant another tree cheaper than pruning,bracing and then the expense of monitoring etc. Well thats how I would put it to the school.

Or do what someone else suggested and rope the entire area off and put a sign up saying dont sit here:cool1:

Fair play though in looking at alternative ways to retain.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do :thumbup1:

Seen the phots now, it doesn't look a particularly valueble tree,,,,,

All my comments before hand were just alternative ideas, so many were quick to say fell it due to its location i just felt like saying the opposite without seeing photos!

I could say more but i think the points have been made here already very well by others.

Here is a pic from a national trust site, I looked at the tree from a not very safe distance and lived to post it here.

5976548e19999_Marcfone-0031.jpg.81cf3795be3949cffe01833524b96700.jpg

Seen the phots now, it doesn't look a particularly valueble tree,,,,,

All my comments before hand were just alternative ideas, so many were quick to say fell it due to its location i just felt like saying the opposite without seeing photos!

I could say more but i think the points have been made here already very well by others.

Here is a pic from a national trust site, I looked at the tree from a not very safe distance and lived to post it here.

Yeah I agree mate. If specimen/old trees or I suppose any tree worth retaining can be left in piece just by putting up a few signs and/or roping the area off then yeah I can see the point clearly and would support it.

I just didnt think it would be viable in this situation.

Dont take my slightly but unintentional sarcastic comment to heart, taking the piss is the only thing I am moderately good at!:001_tongue: