Retraining - Chimney Lining

Catweazle

I use to get a weight on a rope lower it down then fit a big sponge on and pull it up until it starts sealing the chimney and tip sand and cement mix down and slowly pull the sponge up, therefore sealing said pipe. Oviously with no ali tubing inside, then light a smoke bomb in fire place to see if it draws air up properly.

don't now if you need qualification to fit the liner but you need to be hetas engineer to connect the stove and sign it off for building regs !

True, but installing these linings is not a one man job. A couple of guys could install linings and leave connection and draw / safety testing to the HETAS fella.

True, but installing these linings is not a one man job. A couple of guys could install linings and leave connection and draw / safety testing to the HETAS fella.

i think its a good idea anyway ! after all you did say retraining ,personally i would get hetas approved and do the job lot ,that way you can offer the whole package .

i think its a good idea anyway ! after all you did say retraining ,personally i would get hetas approved and do the job lot ,that way you can offer the whole package .

You do need a second body to pull the liner through from the other end. Some bricky skills are sometimes necessary too, as the job can entail removing/replacing bits of the stack to steer the liner around problems.

I fabricated a short tapered cone that clamped to the liner and had an eyelet at the point,dropped the lead rope down from the top and had it pulled from below whilst I fed it in from above,done this twice and it flew down the chimney with no problems - having said that you still need the brickie skills to make the brickwork good around the register plate and the opening !

I fabricated a short tapered cone that clamped to the liner and had an eyelet at the point,dropped the lead rope down from the top and had it pulled from below whilst I fed it in from above,done this twice and it flew down the chimney with no problems - having said that you still need the brickie skills to make the brickwork good around the register plate and the opening !

Good idea with the cone!:thumbup: