Competition between firewood sellers in a local area.

WHaines

My local firewood man gave me a ring the other day to come round for a "chat"

I went round more out of curiosity more than anything, he then proceeded to tell me it was his patch, none of his 1000 clients would come across to me, how he'd been doing it for 30 years and so forth.

To top it off then said It would be better for me to sell my wood all to him for £40 a cube seasoned &

Processed and for me to not even bother?!

As I currently hold off making a quick buck as I'm not in a rush and charge £120 a cube it's taking the piss slightly right?

This guy has a bit of reputation about him anyway so I'm steering clear of dealing with him.

What's everyone else relationships like with their close competitors?

Should I expect more of same from people protecting there patch?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My local firewood man gave me a ring the other day to come round for a "chat"

I went round more out of curiosity more than anything, he then proceeded to tell me it was his patch, none of his 1000 clients would come across to me, how he'd been doing it for 30 years and so forth.

To top it off then said It would be better for me to sell my wood all to him for £40 a cube seasoned &

Processed and for me to not even bother?!

As I currently hold off making a quick buck as I'm not in a rush and charge £120 a cube it's taking the piss slightly right?

This guy has a bit of reputation about him anyway so I'm steering clear of dealing with him.

What's everyone else relationships like with their close competitors?

Should I expect more of same from people protecting there patch?

We all get together and have a chat about the price for the coming season and who to watch out for awkward customers the like. We all sell out most are working to max capacity. Theres the odd few that try and be a bit sneaky but there only doing 25 ton a year for beer money so don't care.

You must be doing something right if you've got him worried! For the most part I get on with others I know in the log business and most of em seem to be rum'ns. I've had similar things said to me in the past but just ignore it as they're usually all wind n piss!

Usually lose a customer or so a year but gain half dozen more!

Thanks for the reassurance!

Word on the wire is that his supply

of timber he has been getting is coming to end.

He knows full well i don't pay for mine as it all comes off our farm and friends farms, so I'm guessing that's why he offers so little for it?

He also asked if he could borrow my processor, didn't offer anything just asked to use it as if we were old mates or something?