Short intro and advice on tree jacks

UK Guy

Hi,

Just a quick intro. I have a few log burners in my house and burn a few loads yearly. I own an MS170 (8 years) and recently purchased an ms261 b-cm which is a super saw. I've been used to the ms170 so the ms261 feels like a mega machine! Both have been faultless to date (touch wood!!). Reading arbtalk I get the jist that the ms261 it's the most hated saw going...! Be gentle with me.:blushing:

I have access to a large private wood so I like to cut and split my own.

I have recently been looking for a log jacking device so I can lift the log off the ground whilst I cut the log (25" max but most under 20") and Google pointed me at arbtalk.co.uk and since finding you I've been hooked...! Not sure why as I'm not really into chainsaws etc !

I do like reading the tuning stories and opinions of some of the colourful characters on here, which make great reading.... I think I should stop NOW!

Anyway... Please advise what you guys recommend for a tree jack.

I've seen some American ones & British (one of the sponsors of arbtalk)

Which one is best??

P.s I like to buy once so I buy the best I can so not really worried about a few quid difference. Thanks

UK Guy

first of all welcome uk guy. :thumbup:

I personally cant advise on tree jacks but a note I will say about the 261 as with any saw. A professional user will put much more demands and strain on any saw compared to a non professional user just in hours used.

if the saw works for you brilliant. :thumbup1:

hope to see you around the forum.

Hey mate, I've got a 261 and its an absolute ripper! Keep an eye on the bearing in the clutch drum as they tend to be a weak link, though this may be sorted on the newer saws.

I've not actually heard about tree jacks, though a big felling lever would help you spin the timber to get at it from both sides.

Are you in the woods felling stuff on your own?

Thanks guys...

No I'm never alone and 99% of the wood i harvest is already down. The wood itself has not been touched for 20+ years so there is a massive amount on the ground and a lot of it ash and quite fresh.

Some of the bigger stuff has been felled by pro's recently (clean up job around the resident log cabin) which is the reason I'm after a log Jack.

Thanks

I use a log Jack. Very effective but I find I don't use it to cut as in the photo above very often. I tend to use it more just to roll a log after crosscutting. Crosscut, roll, crosscut then there's rounds to process on the splitter. A peavey bar would do it just as well.

I have the Clark forest one Log Jack | Clark Forest : Logging

It's good at the rolling but tends to fall sideways as the base is small. You could knock out the black bungs and wedge in a length of wood to extend its base but then is going to make it cumbersome.

A few guys on here have one from Rob D and seem to rate it. Think it must be this one Products for the category: Forestry equipment

Might be worth doing a search on here for the Woodchuck.

Welcome to Arbtalk :thumbup: