Parish council agree to fell tree - how to stop?

Two Acres

Just to ask from a different angle, how far away is that open phase lv line? Not much point in retaining the tree if us utility arbs are going to bollocks it up in the near future.

Also, structural defects doesn't just mean included unions, it can cover a wide range of faults, some of which you might not have noticed, such as crossing limbs, dead spots, flaking bark, with dead spots being mentioned. The fact that the recommendation is 12 month inspections tends to suggest that the tree is knackered.

Most importantly, it's a tree, that, at certain times of the year has an increased volume of targets, some of which will enter the crown, which appears to be in decline as there is notable minor deadwood in the outer crown (which isn't normal for a semi-mature tree).

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to ask from a different angle, how far away is that open phase lv line? Not much point in retaining the tree if us utility arbs are going to bollocks it up in the near future.

Also, structural defects doesn't just mean included unions, it can cover a wide range of faults, some of which you might not have noticed, such as crossing limbs, dead spots, flaking bark, with dead spots being mentioned. The fact that the recommendation is 12 month inspections tends to suggest that the tree is knackered.

Most importantly, it's a tree, that, at certain times of the year has an increased volume of targets, some of which will enter the crown, which appears to be in decline as there is notable minor deadwood in the outer crown (which isn't normal for a semi-mature tree).

Hey Eddy, valid points above and noting that we're stepping into assumptions and theories (notwithstanding those that have actually seen the tree) but if the report (as it has been represented) doesn't actually record the full nature and extent of the current 'structural defects' then the motive for recommendation of 12 monthly inspections could be questionable since there is no benchmark against which to measure potential deterioration and provide data for an informed decision on retention / management options / future removal.

Pure speculation of course, but (as represented) it could just as easily be interpreted as: cut & paste a few key phrases into a report in order to make it look 'the business,' or, justifying an annual income stream of repeat inspections, or as placing an 'end date' on the validity of the current report.

As I say, pure speculation but interesting to see how it develops.

Hey Eddy, valid points above and noting that we're stepping into assumptions and theories (notwithstanding those that have actually seen the tree) but if the report (as it has been represented) doesn't actually record the full nature and extent of the current 'structural defects' then the motive for recommendation of 12 monthly inspections could be questionable since there is no benchmark against which to measure potential deterioration and provide data for an informed decision on retention / management options / future removal.

Pure speculation of course, but (as represented) it could just as easily be interpreted as: cut & paste a few key phrases into a report in order to make it look 'the business,' or, justifying an annual income stream of repeat inspections, or as placing an 'end date' on the validity of the current report.

As I say, pure speculation but interesting to see how it develops.

You're back from spending time googling 'naked women tied to trees'' then Kev :biggrin:

It worked fine when I tried :rolleyes:

Any news from the tree officer yet?

Not yet - I emailed a couple of days ago and the friend whos taking the lead on this one tells me she emailed today. Probably best to phone and see if we can arrange a meeting I think but the girls are more interested in the campaign tying ribbons on the tree and getting the press out :001_rolleyes: They have also arranged to have the issue on the agenda at the next parish council meeting so everyone can air their views. Seems to me the priority is to call the tree officer (can't do it myself, on holiday so can't meet with him)

I have been told that the power network have told the pub landlady they intend to prune the tree. I guess thats good news.

I have been told that the power network have told the pub landlady they intend to prune the tree. I guess thats good news.

Not really, it means it's close enough to be a hazard, meaning it will have a chunk punched out of the crown. I think that in this case, your cause is lost, better to have the tree removed and replaced, than to have a structurally unsound tree next to overhead lines and high foot traffic areas.

But is it genuinely dangerously structurally? Would the 'hazardous' branch(es) land away from the road or bench, would it be caught up in branches below, it is likely to fail slowly while remaing attached, or fall suddenly and unhindered to the floor? Is felling the only option, what about pollarding? Sure you'd have costs in cyclical pruning - good access though so what 3-5hrs work to re-pollard it every 5-10 years. Or fell, grind and replant with a good size replacement (significant cost right there) and hope it survives without the need for any work to be a tree large enough to enjoy a pint in the shade of in 20 years time.

Why are people so quick to fell and (hopefully) replant larger trees? It takes so long for a tree to start to provide all the benefits of pollution filtration, carbon sequestration, visual impact, shade, ecology (especially deadwood) value etc. Is it not better to have a regularly pruned larger tree than one or two small ones which may or may not ever get the chance to grow large? 100 5 year old trees are not equal to 1 500 year old tree!

Not really, it means it's close enough to be a hazard, meaning it will have a chunk punched out of the crown. I think that in this case, your cause is lost, better to have the tree removed and replaced, than to have a structurally unsound tree next to overhead lines and high foot traffic areas.

I think the decision, ultimately, rests with the tree officer - doesn't it?