Beech removal

blue

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally access to this site has been granted after too long.

Tockmal, the tirfor s rated to 5tonnes, pulled it easily.

the 090 wasnt as bad for vibes as I thought it would be, tho tbh I wore some seriously heavily padded gloves!!

Peter, the power company was due to drop the wires at 48hrs notice, but when contacted they had a "change of policy" due to a recent fatality on their staff. I re-assessed the drop of the limb and luckily got it right.

The lowering was all done using a large size ISC porty, damn good it was too.

To be honest Id had problems using it in the past, but that was caused in the way I fed the rope thru it. So I tested it with a few limbs on the open side of the tree, and found that the pieces needed to be larger so I could feel it and let it run.

As Tim says, we were gonna lay a bed for the trunk to lay on, but the smaller top section we felled out piled them a coupla feet into the ground. My other concern was the fact that it may have catapulted a piece into the air, and with the building nearby I was'nt prepared to take that risk.

My main concern was that the winch may not pull the stump to the point it would fell, so I had a back -up plan in the name of a 12tonne jack. This proved unnecessary, but best to cover all eventualities, eh?

If the tirfor struggled, you could always have hitched up the quad!

One beech i sectioned they tried to pull over the last couple of stem pieces with a tracked chipper. When that wasnt enough they hooked the tirfor up to the chipper, got it moving and then pulled it the rest of the way with the chipper

I bet you two wish you'd felled that butt onto bearers lol, nicely done job though

As I said above, it was considered, but I was not going to risk anything flickng/flying up, as the building was close. The ground was soft enough to absorb the impact, and in fact very little timber was resting on the ground. Luckily. Another point, that I dont know if the pictures show it, was that the ground fell away to the right of the final picture, quite sharply. To risk dropping it on bearers, then have it roll away could have created another problem. some of the hornbeams in the immediate area were in quite a poor shape, with a lot of dead timber in them. This was in some cases over a quite dodgy old boundary wall. So the wood was all stacked on the side to eliminate any risk of roll.

i did the same type of thing a couple of years ago and decided not to risk bits of wood flying and hitting the new house but the ground was soft so mud and chunks of turf splattered the new house and windows had to fetch 2 hosepipes scrubbing brushes and get the window cleaner back that had only cleaned them 2 hrs ago

sod it was the word od that day