Mechanical friction devices

Dec Farrell

The ZZ is good but it can be out performed with a well tuned VT ...it's sticking and persevering with the VT length and wrap combo that is the problem and if you crap your pants at the slightest movement or it not locking off without setting it forget about it and buy a ZZ !!

I found the SJ wants to pull through slack constantly and quite hard which was a pita for reductions on broad trees , it does tend well though just too well in that situation when often you need to take a few big movements upwards on skinny branches above your anchor confidently with out being pulled back down because the slack you've pulled through has self tended.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The ZZ is good but it can be out performed with a well tuned VT ...it's sticking and persevering with the VT length and wrap combo that is the problem and if you crap your pants at the slightest movement or it not locking off without setting it forget about it and buy a ZZ !!

I found the SJ wants to pull through slack constantly and quite hard which was a pita for reductions on broad trees , it does tend well though just too well in that situation when often you need to take a few big movements upwards on skinny branches above your anchor confidently with out being pulled back down because the slack you've pulled through has self tended.

I've found two things about a perfectly performing VT:

The first is that it does exactly what you mentioned about the SJ self tending just when you don't want it to.

The second is that when you find that sweet spot on your hitch when it grips and releases perfectly, often after it's been bedded in, it usually means you have about 3 decent climbs left before it's too worn!

I keep mine on for months mate until it's as burnt out and glazed as me on a Sunday morning.

When it gets to that point, pop it in the wash and it's as good as new!

I doubt I'll ever get as sentimental about chucking a used cam away as I do with my used hitch cord!

I only really use Armor Prus so I can't afford to throw it away as and when,