Alternatives to stump grinding?

alex_m

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

come to think of it - that £80 may be the hire rate of chippers. are grinders cheaper to hire generally?

Generally dearer. They take alot longer to sharpen and turn around ready for hire again. Also build in tooth damage etc. Of all our equipment the grinders take the most pounding.

As has already been mentioned, alot of our customers save their stumps up and usually hire for one or two days and do the lot.

I'd recommend drilling holes in the stump and filling it with either...RDX,PETN or HMX.

Be carefull though nasty stuff, works everytime though with very impressive results !

or a mix of Dr pepper, diesel & any other ol' crap you've got LOL

I 've heard em all told to me from the other end of the scale

or a mix of Dr pepper, diesel & any other ol' crap you've got LOL

I 've heard em all told to me from the other end of the scale

A very good friend of mine was once anecedotally telling me stories about clearing DZ's in a foreign jungle.

Just the right amount of explosive does the trick on clearing trees but the lads had a competition to see how high they could blast the trees.

He's got some awesome old photo's of trees, stumps and soil in mid air lol

Always makes me laff, the amount of people that ask me about the stump that have been told to "drill holes in it and fill it with diesel" for some reason they think its just going to rot away in a few weeks.:laugh1: Grinding or digging out is the only way, but i dont do digging unless there small conny stumps, if they insist on digging out charge double then they will see grinding as the cheap option.

A customer wants a couple of stumps removing but isn't too keen on hiring out a stump grinder due to the costs. Are there any cheaper alternatives to get rid of them (chemicals etc)?

thanks

used to be a firm round here who had a licence to use dinamite many years ago haha