Alternatives to stump grinding?

alex_m

To be fair, its supply and demand economics, we have a high concentration of tree surgeons in the immediate area, and very few hirers of such kit. I dont think the normal tool hire shops have grinders around here, so the chipper hire shop has the market.

There are plenty of tree surgeons here too and a number of places that have grinders most of which are more expensive than this. All I was suggesting was a few phone calls could unearth one that no one knows about and is therefore cheaper to hire.

If it is just one stump is it worth contacting a stump grinding company who would not have to add on the cost of the grinder hire to make the job viable?

Kevin

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I have never used this stuff but...

In at our local 'Point Vert' (farm and D.I.Y supplies in France) I have seen a product for burning stumps out.

It is slow and obviously smelly.

I believe you drill many holes in the stump and fill them with this powder which may actually be Sodium Chlorate based now I come to think of it.

Then you dose it all with diesel and light it.

It burns hot and slow and takes a long time and you'll still need to give the 'ole mattock after.

Rubbish really...:thumbdown:

Edited by Ty Korrigan

i have rapid hire near me and if u bartar with them they'l hire the grinder out for atleast 60quid or tell the customer to wait and u can buid up ya stumps and spend one saturday doing the grinding, u can make a reasonable wage for the day oh and dont 4get a jewson bag as it can get a bit messy