Best type of log store?

TurtleWoods72

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One mistake I see all the time with log stores is little or no over hang from the roof so the logs get soaked when it rains.

Hi, overhang not neccessary as we dont get much rain.

The full fat version of our log store, just about got it all in :biggrin:

IMG_0745.jpg.ae9ca4f795409460019f70dc1cf6f55b.jpg

Hi, overhang not neccessary as we dont get much rain.

The full fat version of our log store, just about got it all in :biggrin:

You need it here in the Lake District. There's a place I deliver a lot of logs to and when I go mid winter to top up the empty sheds the logs I delivered in the summer that are in the other sheds are all pretty wet :thumbdown: Their problem not mine I guess :001_smile:

Heres an old photo of a pole barn type shelter I built

I didn't use it as a log store, I added sides and used it as a general shed.

All you'd need to do for firewood storage is add mesh sides and a floor of pallets

It probably cost about £150 for the timber and the roofing sheets, the roof is 16ft by 11ft

100320131047x.jpg

If you're in a very windy spot you may want more bracing between posts and roof, steel strips from the builders merchant would do

This is ours. Built from treated fence posts set into the ground with Metpost spikes, pallets underneath and as dividers. Roof is Corolast bitumen stuff. The roof slopes the wrong way which makes loading a bit harder, but makes it less obtrusive in the garden. It has a 6" airgap along the top of the back wall too, which helps throughflow of air. It gets what little sun we have on the front face, so dries pretty much anything from green to burnable in 6-9 months...even in Wales.. Holds just over a year of wood for our use (one big log burner in the middle of the house).

9DF83C55-20C7-44B7-808A-6ACBA11552B5.jpg.ec88129539b6fbfbf0daa8fb3f7f25a5.jpg