Degrees in Arboriculture

ollie85

I'm in my third year at Writtle College studying BSc (Hons) Horticulture with Tree Management and had completed a number of CS units prior to that. Although it's a great course I would have loved to have gone to Myerscough College. If your planning on working in the uk arb industry your better of studying here.

I personally wouldnt wast my time with an arb degree, the industry is already saturated with individuals, my boss said he got so many letters at the end of this study year with people looking for jobs + he like many others prefer people with basic qualifications and a good amount of tree surgery experience.

:thumbup1:

I would disagree. I did an FdSc and it was the best thing I've done. I regulary turn away consultancy work (mainly 5837's) as I just can't cope with the current work load. If you can stick the home study its well worth the effort.

I would disagree. I did an FdSc and it was the best thing I've done. I regulary turn away consultancy work (mainly 5837's) as I just can't cope with the current work load. If you can stick the home study its well worth the effort.

I suppose its a choice of love rather than need, after all a degree wont guarantee you a job/career in the industry and you will never earn great or even average money.

I am a firm beliver in self study, get yourself a load of quality books and attend short courses..... IMO experience trumps a slip of paper any day :biggrin:

Your right about home study. I started an FdSc online when I had 6 years experience on the tools under my belt.

I wouldn't rights off an FdSc or BSc as a slip of paper as I doubt you appreciate the work that goes into getting such a qualification, unless that is you have one.

Short courses such as PTI and QTRA are great, but I expect to charge myself out at a higher rate than someone with just these short course qualifications This is to reflect the fact that I have an achedemic award which has forced my to look at a wide range of subject areas.

As for money, I am not a rich man but I can assure you I do alot better than before I went back into studying.

How usefull is a degree is in this industry if not backed up with experience I don't know. But in my opinion a degree type qualification backed up with plenty of hands on experience is a very usefull combination and if you can deal with the home study is 3 years you will not regret.

Edited by gibbon

I wouldn't rights off an FdSc or BSc as a slip of paper as I doubt you appreciate the work that goes into getting such a qualification, unless that is you have one.

I actually did architecture before i got into tree work, it did help and you could say i fell on my feet when BS 5837 came out....

At the moment i am working on geographical information systems and i must say i was tempted by an Masters course in it but it covers so much i can buy loads of books and study the areas i want to know and need + who really needs a masters or Phd apart from to show off.......

My comments are towards arb qualifications really as many proffesions you do need qualifications, arb is still young and i bet most of the on the tools lads on arbtalk caould teach mr degree clean hands a thing or two.....

Also a quick point i have seen many of the colleges advertising for instructors/lectures.... i know a couple of lectures that are teaching degree kids Arb who only have level three qualifications......:blushing:

I personally wouldnt wast my time with an arb degree, the industry is already saturated with individuals, my boss said he got so many letters at the end of this study year with people looking for jobs + he like many others prefer people with basic qualifications and a good amount of tree surgery experience.

:thumbup1:

fair enough if you just wanna be a tree surgeon.

im doing an FdSc and theres people on the course who have been doing tree work for years and are after getting into consultancy, inspections, TO, research etc.

its a better thing to have on your CV than saying you read a load of books in your spare time.

the course is intense and requires a lot of commitment and hard work.

I did the first year of the on-line degree in arboriculture from Myerscough and have 4 cd's that they provide during the final stages of the year. These cd's are soil science, arboricultural principles, tree science and plant science. Its a great course but I personally found it hard to start with as I hadnt been to school for 600 years, I could send them to you to have a look through before deciding which route to take. PM me with postage details if you like. best of luck

Hi Stetson,

After reading your note on the arboriculture degree, It was just what I would like to do. I have a degree and PhD, I am wonder could I get into Master course in such on-line course.

Could you please give me some direction??

At the same time could you please send me your course materials for reference??

Your kind attention to my request will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Allen

• 1 month later...