Degrees in Arboriculture

ollie85

hi guys, i have been working as a countryside manager/tree surgeon for about 3 years now and am thinking of doing a degree in arboriculture. i have been told that tehre are very few places that offer a decent degree in this subject so i was wondering if anyone could give me any advise or feedback on courses.

i was also wondering if anyone would suggest studying abroad in places such as australia, canada or the us? i don't really want to waste 3 years of my life so i want to make sure i get the best degree available.

thanks in advance,

ollie

what level of qualification have you got for your current post?

I would personally go for isa certified arborist, this is equivalent to an nd arb but requires cpd to maintain the qualification. The next step would be prof dip arb which can be studied for while you are working via correspondance college then go for chartered status.

it does of course depend what you want to do with your qualification/ career.

hope this is of help.

cheers

richard

I did the first year of the on-line degree in arboriculture from Myerscough and have 4 cd's that they provide during the final stages of the year. These cd's are soil science, arboricultural principles, tree science and plant science. Its a great course but I personally found it hard to start with as I hadnt been to school for 600 years, I could send them to you to have a look through before deciding which route to take. PM me with postage details if you like. best of luck

• 4 weeks later...

I personally wouldnt wast my time with an arb degree, the industry is already saturated with individuals, my boss said he got so many letters at the end of this study year with people looking for jobs + he like many others prefer people with basic qualifications and a good amount of tree surgery experience.

:thumbup1: