Climber, truck and chipper

jeanesy

Haha as little as possible cos if they have to sub out they generally have little work.

Your right though, subbing out is less money.

I don't know that, that is right Ian!

I sub because I can't be bothered with all the shite that goes with running a "proper" business, it suits me to pick and choose what I do.

I'm never short of work, infact I turn work away most months.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sub because I can't be bothered with all the shite that goes with running a "proper" business, it suits me to pick and choose what I do.

Yeah it is one of the benefits of subbing out, not having to deal with the crap,I guess if your only subbing out as a one man band then those sort of figures arnt too bad.

Yeah it is one of the benefits of subbing out, not having to deal with the crap,I guess if your only subbing out as a one man band then those sort of figures arnt too bad.

It pays the bills!... Just!

Off to Tenerife for 3 weeks, end of September.:thumbup:

In the tree game this "subbing out" is a real grey area for all concerned as we have read in many threads on Arbtalk. Some people sub out with loads of kit to other firms that find the work and pay them to do it, they still have overheads to pay, as does the lad with a chainsaw and fuel can going felling for someone. In most situations insurance is advised/needed as you will inevitably be doing your own jobs as well as subbing. You run a car/van/truck so they need tax/insurance/servicing and this money has to come from somewhere as does paying for kit. Some lads think it's ok to buy an old chipper and truck and go round doing jobs and "subbing out" for folk and charging £low prices to get the work££ with no thought of if something breaks or what if something happens. As we have said before if we all were more capitalist minded then this industry would pay well but we have lots of tree hugger types happy to make ends meet working in the wood etc (no offence meant to anyone) for peanuts. There will always be people who work for peanuts but if you are serious about this game then you need to charge properly. Another short example of why we must get real with pricing is the risk factor, a contract climber I use had a nasty accident in Friday and cut a 4 cm long , 1cm deep cut into is thumb area, it was his right hand, he was cutting a conny hedge and the branch brok as he cut and he lost his footing, as he slipped his hand came into contact with the slowing chain. He will be out of action for quite a while. If he has no accident insurance how will his running costs be paid? If he charges a proper rate he should be able to afford accident insurance and build up some Capitol for such events. Charging too little also can put pressure on jobs to get them done quick so then another job can get done to pay the days cost. Just something to think about lads n lasses:)

Thats how i think, been there done it. :thumbup1:

Bloody hell that's cheap!!!

The main point for me is that all those things listed above are really only covering their costs whereas I want them to be making money to grow the business.

You can analyze costs as much as you like, a simple costing can also be based on this,

A contractor can go out and hire a chipper newish one for what, ... £70 or £90 a day ?

I was charging myself and still do if they don't need a chipper for £180

£180 + £70 = £250 all plus vat

I also get to keep all the wood. My main money is made from stump grinding which works out to be very good money, only problem with stump grinding the woods already left site, and i do get through the timber.

So after you reading all these posts what were you going to charge ???

Around the £450/500 mark here, some go higher and some go lower

So, let me get this right, you want £300-£350/day for you, your truck and chipper as a subbie, yet a two man crew are only charging £450-£500...... Where is the main contractor making money?