how much do you think your worth???

desired_affect

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most of my subbie groundies get about £100 a day up to £150 on some jobs . i think they are worth every penny. climbers normally around £150 a day.

Just shows the difference that people can get paid across the country, there is no way on earth any groundie would get paid £100 a day around here!

A good groundie is well worth the money but trying to get that money on jobs is another thing.

We have some very good climbers on the books full time, and one subbie who comes with his own kit and saw and again is A1, he gets regular work and comes in at around a £100 a day.

I personally wouldn't pay any more than that as I don't pay myself any more than that, and I have a lot more responsibility.

You should be paying freelancers more than you pay yourself, they are only there for the day at your convenience not contracted etc. You get the benefits of their work further down the line with repeat work and referals yet they get nothing. Of course you pay yourself little if its your business, thats what we all do but that does not mean you shouldn't pay a good climber more than you! Thats just tight! If you got climbers already and then hiring one in your making a lot more than 100 a day, even if you only "pay" yourself that much, the rest is still your money!

I pay my self 100 a day, every day of the week if I'm working or not, but I know I can take extra money to pay for holidays, or whatever, thats my perogative. Responsibilty has little to do with it. I pay more for good climbers, I don't compare there responsibilites to mine, they are making me moeny and get paid accordingly.

I had a climber in all this week who has been climbing for the last 20 years and is fluid, faultless, fast, (cant think of any more 'f's lol) and works really really hard when he comes down out of the tree. He refuses to accept more than 120 a day even when he drives 25 miles to site. How does that fit in to the model?

Then again i did 2 days for one of cornwall longest standing tree firms and would have happily taken that money, bjut they paid me 400 for the 2 days, and i am absouloutely defininteley not the best climber out there, and they are having me back for a day next week.

Its kind of an impossible question to answer i reckon. I know that i cannot afford to earn less than 120 a day just to pay the bills. I think that that has a lot to do with value.

I'm surprised that Joe Public pays climbers so little. If I was hiring I'd consider £200 a day to be very reasonable considering the danger and insurance involved.

What danger? And what insurance?

We are talkign about companies hiring climbers not the public. Hired in climbers are (or should be in theory) trained, qualified, experienced so there shouldn't be any "danger" involved, some calculated risk factors maybe but these are managed to illiminate risk and don't get me started on insurance!

I had a climber in all this week who has been climbing for the last 20 years and is fluid, faultless, fast, (cant think of any more 'f's lol) and works really really hard when he comes down out of the tree. He refuses to accept more than 120 a day even when he drives 25 miles to site. How does that fit in to the model?

He doesn't have Ginger hair does he?

We are talkign about companies hiring climbers not the public. Hired in climbers are (or should be in theory) trained, qualified, experienced so there shouldn't be any "danger" involved, some calculated risk factors maybe but these are managed to illiminate risk and don't get me started on insurance!

There will always be some danger involved or there would be no accidents,injuries or deaths.

Ditto on the insurance thing though:001_smile:

I am Joe Public, so my post is from that point of view. I'd consider £200 a day a bargain, in fact I'd expect to pay £250.

Don't climbers have liability and life insurance ?

And don't tell me climbing trees with chainsaws isn't more dangerous than most jobs, I won't believe you.

I am Joe Public, so my post is from that point of view. I'd consider £200 a day a bargain, in fact I'd expect to pay £250.

Don't climbers have liability and life insurance ?

And don't tell me climbing trees with chainsaws isn't more dangerous than most jobs, I won't believe you.

The company doin the work 'should' have public liability (not legal requirement) and 'must' have employers liability ig they have staff!( a legal requirement)

The climber may or may not have his own accident insurance (i have but I know a lot that dont)

It isnt down the the climber to be insured per se just the company.

Ok I understand your point of view then. But as a member of the public you would need to be hiring a tree company not an individual climber. That company would of course have insurance for the climbers and crew. The company may only be a one person sole trader but the insuracne should cover the ground crew also. You may find yourself a single climber to do what you want and thats fine, and I would expect them to charge you 200-250. Weather they are insured or not depends on the person, but the insurance is not valid if they don't have qualified rescue climbe ron site, hence the need to hire in a company that covers all this.

So individual climbers don't tend to have (and IMO don't need) indivual liability insurance. If they have life insuracne than thats up to them.

Climbing trees with chainsaws has hazards and risks to be aware of and probably more than most jobs. But if its only dangerous if you disregard all the safety guidelines. Some poeple make it more dangerous than necessary.

With regard to the point of view of this thread, i.e. tree companies paying for climbers, the climbers are covered by the comapanies insurance and as the work (should/could be more regular) then 200-250 is unlikely.