Aerial Recue Drills

TIMON

Paul, is this for everyone? Personally I don't see the need for someone who is climbing daily to practise aerial rescue that regularly, it's pretty straight forward stuff with often the hardest but getting up to the casualty is an acceptable timeframe. For ground staff who have an aerial rescue ticket but not much experience actually climbing, that's a different matter

I feel it's just as important for those who climb daily. Getting up a tree is pretty straightforward for anyone who has done it a few times before.

When your oppo is bleeding out it's a totally different thing. Managing a casualty situation is much more than climbing a tree. Practising stuff like this has the benefit of raising H&S awareness in all involved. It also lowers the adrenalin in a real situation as training kicks in. Embedded knowledge is a powerful thing.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the rescuer is competent, how about stepping up a level?

Shout, scream & abuse the rescuer. Get the victim to lunge at the, pull there ropes & grab them.

In real life, it is going to be a horrible & stressful event & in my opinion providing a stressful & unpleasant environment is an essential part of the training.

If the rescuer is competent, how about stepping up a level?

Shout, scream & abuse the rescuer. Get the victim to lunge at the, pull there ropes & grab them.

In real life, it is going to be a horrible & stressful event & in my opinion providing a stressful & unpleasant environment is an essential part of the training.

Very good point, I was thinking of maybe trying that until I realised it would result in one of our lads knocking me the hell out!

I feel it's just as important for those who climb daily. Getting up a tree is pretty straightforward for anyone who has done it a few times before.

When your oppo is bleeding out it's a totally different thing. Managing a casualty situation is much more than climbing a tree. Practising stuff like this has the benefit of raising H&S awareness in all involved. It also lowers the adrenalin in a real situation as training kicks in. Embedded knowledge is a powerful thing.

That's just what I was thinking....

The difference between performing a rescue in a sterile, contrived situation and having to perform one after a serious accident in a tree must be like chalk and cheese.

That's just what I was thinking....

The difference between performing a rescue in a sterile, contrived situation and having to perform one after a serious accident in a tree must be like chalk and cheese.

It is. I had to stop one practice because the climber was so in the red-zone that he was likely to become a real casualty himself.

Years ago in mountain rescue we used stick on fake wounds and fake blood to try to acclimatise people to the sights, with really antagonistic and uncooperative casualties. Some people can deal with the situation and some just go in to panic mode and become headless chickens.

On a crag rescue training day, my rescuer was shaking so much I had to take his knife off him before he severed both our lines. Another incident occurred where the casualty got slashed across his face as his line was severed, then the rescuer stabbed himself in the buttocks trying to put his knife away:biggrin: being in a bigger state of panic due to the blood streaming down the victims face.

Paul, is this for everyone? Personally I don't see the need for someone who is climbing daily to practise aerial rescue that regularly, it's pretty straight forward stuff with often the hardest but getting up to the casualty is an acceptable timeframe. For ground staff who have an aerial rescue ticket but not much experience actually climbing, that's a different matter

Hi Steve, apologies for delay replying here.

I think others have 'collectively' answered your question and, in your case, it's essentially about practising the actual rescue protocols rather than the access.

As Mr Jenks said, embedded training is a powerful thing...so don't forget to spray the Ketchup before the practice.

cheers, n hope yer well.

Paul