Mini Digger advice

GJT

A Rotator and Grab is a perfectly reasonable prospect on a 1.5 tonner and depending on which manufacturer the base machine is, some of the work may already have been done.

Basically you need a two way auxiliary circuit which most machines will usually have and then tap into the bucket ram circuit via simple diverter valves to utilise this as the second two way circuit.

There are two schools of thought as to which way to pipe it, and I actually see no wrong in either way around?

Some want to pipe the Bucket Ram into the Grab open/close as it sort of replicates opening/closing a bucket, and then pipe the Rotate into the auxiliary.

This is my preferred route, but the bit that puts many off is the auxiliary pipe may have a lot of flow for a small rotator, often utilising a pedal that makes it really fast (even unsafe?) to operate.

This can be resolved with a simple flow reducer, but if you have many attachments then it becomes a pain.

The other way is obviously use the extra control available via the Bucket circuit to rotate the grab, and use the less controllable auxiliary circuit to simply open/close the grab.

Some lucky people may have a machine with two dual acting proportional circuits as standard, and it's simply a case of plugging the grab in.

Not likely on a 1.5 tonner, but manufacturers are catching on really fast in the 2.6 tonne range and up.

Plenty of Grab and Rotators available, I'd go with something like a Farma setup which will be cheap enough and we have great success with them on the Tracked Dumper.

Guys on here will recommend more makes and dealers, and ideally give an idea where you're based, as sometimes it's best to find a good local supplier and they will help you through the fitting.

1k should see even the worst case scenario sorted I'd expect?

Eddie.

Thanks Eddie for the great advice its going to be a learning curve but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skip the 1.5 ton diggers and go for the 2 ton plus ,massive difference in stability and reach for tree work .

Ste

Totally "get" the bigger = better logic, and assuming money isn't the limiting factor, if running a 110/trailer setup, isn't it a towing weight issue if you venture north of 1.5t?

There is one company out there and endorsed by VOSA Build a trailer that weighs 500kg specifically built for mini diggers and take a 3 ton digger .

Ste

It's actually possible now to go a bit more mainstream for a solution to this.

Bateson Trailers do a high capacity plant trailer with ramps you can easily remove and stow in the pickup bed to really squeeze things to the max if required.

This trailer comes in at 535kg with the ramps removed which is some going, and after using a Bateson plant trailer recently, it really was a delight to tow in comparison to my Ifor.

It may just provide the solution some are looking for.

35PM Plant Trailer High Carrying Capacity | Bateson Trailers

Eddie.

They used to, I asked recently and they said they don't do special builds any more because of whole vehicle type approval.

You could have one built and get it inspected as a one off, as CK Trading do.

They aren't really similar to the Aussie trailers, they're made in Ally rather than steel.