Mini Digger advice

GJT

Depends on what your doing for small machines a fixed is good cheap and easy

For timber stacking in forestry or stacking brash for chipper it's all about the rotator

This is my small set up

I'm considering trading up to a kx61 but having towed them a few times it's not fun for any distance

Mine has a oversized grab which has good and down sides

image.jpg.d002dba3b31d89ff8a0333dd5a914370.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suddenly realise how much I have to learn about this subject! Anyway was thinking about starting small and getting a TB016 right price range about 8k and hopefully easier to learn in than a bigger machine. So it's not just a case of buying a rotor and grab and plugging in, I am based in Ireland but its likely I would purchase a machine and rotor and grab in UK so not sure how I would go about getting it all fitted up. If anyone knows of any decent dealers where I could checkout a machine that would be great. Thanks everyone for all the advice so far.

M Large outside Belfast would be a good bet for a decent grab/rotator. There is Oakleaf forestry as well, Murphy brothers in Ferns, Wexford down south. Good luck with it.

I tow a 2.8t behind my defender all over the place with attachments in the pickup bed to give it neccessary ballast in the towing vehicle- never had a problem at all.

That said, the Takeuchi tb016 is capable of amazing things for a 1.5tonner, but personally i would never go back to it now after having the 2.8t- completely different ball game for a little more effort towing it around.

As for legalities- I put mine on the smallest 10x6 3.5t flatbed trailer ifor make- it scrapes in under 3.5t- unless iv left a bottle of water in the cab!!

I tow a 2.8t (Takeuchi tb125-beast of a machine)behind my defender all over the place with attachments in the pickup bed to give it neccessary ballast in the towing vehicle- never had a problem at all.

That said, the Takeuchi tb016 is capable of amazing things for a 1.5tonner, but personally i would never go back to it now after having the 2.8t- completely different ball game for a little more effort towing it around.

As for legalities- I put mine on the smallest 10x6 3.5t flatbed trailer ifor make- it scrapes in under 3.5t- unless iv left a bottle of water in the cab!!

I like that setup, is that the takeuchi 228? how do you find it with the weight of the rotator and grab?

The 228 is a great size machine, the grab and Engcon is a bit heavy but still surprises me and the lads on site at what it will lift / drag / manipulate.

You get used to the weight of any grab but bigger is always better and Hardox is a must on the end a digger

M Large outside Belfast would be a good bet for a decent grab/rotator. There is Oakleaf forestry as well, Murphy brothers in Ferns, Wexford down south. Good luck with it.

Cheers I'll give them a call, have had a few bits of M large in the past so will try them first. But need to source a machine first.

What about a grab without a rotator but lots of gripping power to get you going then add a rotator later on [ATTACH]186892[/ATTACH][ATTACH]186893[/ATTACH][ATTACH]186894[/ATTACH]

Great set up just what I was thinking of. Is there a big advantage having a rotor and grab instead of just a fixed grab?