Fair price ?

aspenarb

A guy popped into the yard today after timber for his processor, its for his own personal use. He cant take a big truck load but would like five ton at a time on the smaller truck. He took a step back when I quoted him £50 a ton delivered , its a ten mile round trip that he will unload with his guys. Am I leaning on him at that rate ??

Bob

If he can d better somewhere else then he better do that ......

If he can d better somewhere else then he better do that ......

The guy is possibly an ongoing customer Stubby so I just wanted to keep it realistic on pricing, We get plenty of timber but processor sized timber would need to be separated out which in itself is going to be time consuming, add that to customer unloading the truck himself I thought £50 was about right. He has gone for it at £50 so I will time a few runs and see how it pans out , I will put the squeeze on him if its doesn't :) . Thanks for the input guys.

Bob

The guy is possibly an ongoing customer Stubby so I just wanted to keep it realistic on pricing, We get plenty of timber but processor sized timber would need to be separated out which in itself is going to be time consuming, add that to customer unloading the truck himself I thought £50 was about right. He has gone for it at £50 so I will time a few runs and see how it pans out , I will put the squeeze on him if its doesn't :) . Thanks for the input guys.

Bob

OK Bob . Fair play but as you say don't be out of pocket bud :001_smile:

We couldn't make firewood/logs pay.

Too busy doing the actual trees.

Fair play to you Bob.

Timon I could never make logs pay either, we were way too busy with work which left precious little time for processing and delivery. I dont mind moving timber about as we have to dispose of it anyway so the more the merrier as far as guys like this one go :) Its just making sure I dont shoot yourself in the foot doing it, our regular takers of log wood use everything and anything on the truck but pay a lot less than £50 a ton. this guy has set himself up with a processor for his own use which seems strange considering the cost and speed of which it will actually give him a return.:confused1:

Bob

Timon I could never make logs pay either, we were way too busy with work which left precious little time for processing and delivery. I dont mind moving timber about as we have to dispose of it anyway so the more the merrier as far as guys like this one go :) Its just making sure I dont shoot yourself in the foot doing it, our regular takers of log wood use everything and anything on the truck but pay a lot less than £50 a ton. this guy has set himself up with a processor for his own use which seems strange considering the cost and speed of which it will actually give him a return.:confused1:

Bob

Similar situation to us Bob. We send all our arisings to one of two places that process arb arisings that are on the doorstep. Now and again we will sell the odd load of logs but like you we can't afford to go too far out of our way. There's no way we could justify investing in the equipment to process. The sums just don't add up. If we had problems filling our diary then maybe we would have to look into it, thankfully we keep busy with trees.

Timon

hi all wish i was near you joe i can sell any sort of wood

Same old story, its all to do with logistics. Its a shame transport cant be sorted for some of this softwood, its the same down this way for chip.

This lots going begging if anyone wants it, be quick because the log goblins will get it :)

image.jpg1_zpshy8lbxce.jpg