Going to get a terrier dog soon but what one would you pick and why thanks

mendiplogs

It's not the dogs, it's the people.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Nah, sorry mate.

Mate of mines father bred Staffies for 30 odd years, and won lots of shows with them. One of his best dogs turned nasty one day, really nasty!

My mate and his father were good dog handlers, couldn't do a thing with this particular dog mind, ended up calling the RSPCA, They shot it in the end..... Wouldn't trust one myself.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Jon, my mate had a fox terrier it was very unpredictable. Would turn on people for no reason. I like the look of Manchester terriers. Saw one the other day was very friendly too, looked a bit like a micro-Doberman ;)

My missus wants a Bernese Mountain dog. I think you'd need a big shovel to clean it's bombs up.

Hi TIMON MATE yes I've seen the mini dobermans they're great looking dogs thanks John

2 Borders 8 and 9 no Health issues just lots of scars from barb wire etc. Can't slow em down when out but they're a lot more chilled and slow at home than they were 6/7 years ago. When these two pass on I'll be getting another 2, maybe 3!

2 Borders 8 and 9 no Health issues just lots of scars from barb wire etc. Can't slow em down when out but they're a lot more chilled and slow at home than they were 6/7 years ago. When these two pass on I'll be getting another 2, maybe 3!

Hi mate thanks that yes a good border terrier take some beating their good dogs thanks John

I was joking Richie.:001_rolleyes:

I'm a Spaniel man myself, got three of the buggers!

I used to kick about with a kid that breed and showed Staffies, wouldn't trust one if ya paid me.

Um don't you think it was the lad breeding them you shouldn't trust it's the one breed that's got a bad name for the wrong reasons. You treat a staff right it all treat you right poke it with a stick and you will end up with a fighting machine.

My thoughts on terriers in general.

Most are or were bred to work and this means kill vermin. Most want to fight with other dogs or each other.

I love and have had terriers but you must be aware of the breed you choose.

Patterdale, hard as nails, killing machine!

Border, again can be hard but tend to be more sociable.

Jack, could be anything as its lost its way and anything small can be called a jack.

Fell or Lakeland, again bred to work, like to scrap. Show strains highly strung!!

Staff or English, very loyal with a bad press. Intelligent friendly. Small children..... Not for me.

You could try some of the not so popular like a Norwich or Norfolk.

Teckel (working Dachshund) great characters but can drive you mad with stubborn attitude. Check for bad back and hips.

Probably a border for family pet.