Sick weeping willow

Tomtittot

Question

Hi all,

I have a much-loved weeping willow which has been showing signs of sickness over the last couple of years. I would very much like to save it if possible so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

It is planted in a garden in Devon, at about 600ft in a reasonably sheltered location, although it is in a bit of a frost hollow so it does suffer from the occasional late frosts. It is approximately 18 years old and for about the last 6 years it has been pruned to keep its height to about 15 feet. It is planted about 30 feet from the nearest buiding, 6 feet from a concrete patio and it gets a reasonable amount of sun.

Up until about 3 years ago it seemed absolutely healthy, with the usual weeping branches to within a couple of feet of ground level, full foliage and good colour. We also used to trim the weeping bits so it could be walked under.

Last year the usual growth and foliage only reached about half of the usual extent, and for the first year in ages we didn't need to prune the top growth to maintain the height. This year the situation is worse - no top growth, no weeping branches and only about 25% of the usual foliage.

Nothing else in the garden appears to be suffering a similar fate, certainly nothing suffering from lack of water - not even the grass beneath. I can see no sign of fungus either on the tree or on the ground. The bark appears to be robust and just as it always has been. The leaves are progressively becoming speckled brown, yellowing and then shedding.

As I said, if possible I really would like to save this tree.

Thanks in advance for any help.

SAM_2137.JPG.cba428cf8e282c9dc9453c47807bd734.JPG

SAM_2136.JPG.8b0a9c98af5824fa200c422be2c81cc2.JPG

SAM_2135.JPG.82e3559deef6d8594248fc671133e330.JPG

SAM_2134.JPG.330cd1f22f26498a52b5130e4bb05b70.JPG

8 answers to this question

Hi all,

I have a much-loved weeping willow which has been showing signs of sickness over the last couple of years. I would very much like to save it if possible so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

It is planted in a garden in Devon, at about 600ft in a reasonably sheltered location, although it is in a bit of a frost hollow so it does suffer from the occasional late frosts. It is approximately 18 years old and for about the last 6 years it has been pruned to keep its height to about 15 feet. It is planted about 30 feet from the nearest buiding, 6 feet from a concrete patio and it gets a reasonable amount of sun.

Up until about 3 years ago it seemed absolutely healthy, with the usual weeping branches to within a couple of feet of ground level, full foliage and good colour. We also used to trim the weeping bits so it could be walked under.

Last year the usual growth and foliage only reached about half of the usual extent, and for the first year in ages we didn't need to prune the top growth to maintain the height. This year the situation is worse - no top growth, no weeping branches and only about 25% of the usual foliage.

Nothing else in the garden appears to be suffering a similar fate, certainly nothing suffering from lack of water - not even the grass beneath. I can see no sign of fungus either on the tree or on the ground. The bark appears to be robust and just as it always has been. The leaves are progressively becoming speckled brown, yellowing and then shedding.

As I said, if possible I really would like to save this tree.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The black lesions on the current year's twig look like anthracnose

Many thanks for he prompt replies.

Jesse: I've just tried the light tapping of the bark and everything seems pretty solid. I think that I understand what you're describing and I get the impression that the bark is fairly well bonded to the trunk. I've been for a little climb and get the same results everwhere I've tapped - up to about 10 foot above ground.

Should I be trying to confirm whether this is anthracnose or or is it obvious from the photos? Assuming this is the problem, is there any effective treatment which I should be investigating or is this the end of a beautiful relationship?

Thanks and best regards.

Many thanks for he prompt replies.

Jesse: I've just tried the light tapping of the bark and everything seems pretty solid. I think that I understand what you're describing and I get the impression that the bark is fairly well bonded to the trunk. I've been for a little climb and get the same results everwhere I've tapped - up to about 10 foot above ground.

Should I be trying to confirm whether this is anthracnose or or is it obvious from the photos? Assuming this is the problem, is there any effective treatment which I should be investigating or is this the end of a beautiful relationship?

Thanks and best regards.

I believe it to be Anthracnose, just from the number of trees i have inspected and looking at your photo, the taping will just indicate how advanced it is, not looking good for the tree, and its becoming a very widespread problem especially around my area Taunton.