660 dual port exhaust...any good?

leswold

Jon, the 880 has become renown as the beast of the saw world. It's the saw that all who are "in trees" want to tell stories about, it's the saw all the young bucks dream of using and want to brag about using, in the pub, on the Internet and to impress lesser mortals who can't cut the mustard.

In reality, it has a limited market, with the exception of milling there are few times in this country that this saw is essential. It's heavy, it's actually quite slow and it's an absolute pig to use. It costs a mortgage to buy and in the real world doesn't get used all that much relatively to cost.

So, in short, I'm old, grumpy and knackered so the 660 will do for me nicely thanks😎

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're quite right, I had no clue re skip chains. Just been looking it up elsewhere & makes interesting reading so thanks.

I'm a big fan of it, makes very good sense on big bars of any saw really. The theory being there are less cutters so less swarf in the cut so won't big the saw. In turn this keeps chain speed up, therefore isn't much slower cutting than complete chain.

I think here the most common skip is semi skip but in parts of the U.S. where bars upto 5, 6 and even 7 feet long are used, the full skip is more common. This chain has only half the amount of cutters per loop that a complete chain has.

Mate, a man of your stature could probably one hand the 88 with 36 at arms length. Perfect for tip pruning I would have thought.

That only happens in my dreams these days Rich, if I were a young buck like you it would still of been possible😜👍